SiJ Book Scorecard

Discussion in 'Image Quest' started by Luke, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Below is a kind of scorecard for the SiJ book to help keep me organized (and you all, as well). Currently it will display a list of everyone that has signified that they want to be included. I have also asked for cover photos to be submitted on this thread....so please click there and follow the directions as time permits...... https://www.photographerslounge.org/f88/sij-cover-we-need-your-photos-6841/

I will also put a note after it if we have the images that we have asked for.

Luke - done
    grebeman - cover image sent + 2 inside images sent
    Landshark - cover image sent +2
    ajramirez - cover image sent + 2 inside shots sent
    Brian - cover image sent +2
    Armanius - cover image sent + 2 inside shots sent
    BillN - cover images sent +2
    BBW - cover image sent +2
    Kathyh - cover image sent +2
    Lightmancer - cover images sent +2
    stillshunter - cover image sent +2. Wrote the Foreword
    snkenai - cover images sent (given the OK for editor to choose between the 2) +2
    woof - cover image sent +2
    Lili - cover images sent (given the OK for editor to choose between the 2) +2 for the inside
    pdh - cover image sent +2
    kyteflyer - cover image sent (use either one) + 2 for the book
    normanshearer - cover image sent +2
    Phoenix - cover image sent + 2 inside shots sent
    bartjeej - cover image sent +2
    DuanePandorf - cover image sent and 2 inside shots sent
    trisberg - cover photo sent + 2 for the inside
    nikki - cover images sent (given the OK to editor to pick one) + 2 for the book
    Briar - cover photo sent +2
    bilzmale - cover images sent (given the editor the choice of using either) +2
    HeatherTheVet - cover image sent +2
    Will - cover image sent +2
    defektive - sent 2 images for cover
    marlof - cover images sent (given the editor choice of using either) + 2 for the book
    Otto - has agreed to do the cover layout (Yay!!) +2
    Jayhawker - cover image sent +2

I think this list is complete. If you want to be involved in the book and don't see your name here.....now is the time to speak up.

If you sent 2 images for the cover and didn't read about our change to one (There was NO WAY it was going to work with 30 images on front AND back), you can either let me know which ONE you want of the two or ask us to throw those 2 out and pick a different one or allow our editor to choose between the 2. But please let us know what you want done.....they are your photos.

If you haven't sent an image for inclusion on the cover, what are you waiting for......look through your entries and pick one that looks good in thumbnail size and send it to Luke.seriouscompacts@gmail.com

• Like Like x 3
  2. Otto

Otto SC Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Forney, TX
    I think I'm feeling well enough to make a go of this. I need to submit my two for the inside, and the one for the cover. I'm sorry, but I'm having a time trying to find the file requirements again. Are all three the same, or will the cover shot have a different requirement?

If no one has spoken up for the cover layout, I will put my hat in the ring to do it as I have done this kind of thing in the past. As I type this, I may have already stated I would do it in another post. The mind bees a terrible thing. :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  3. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    Luke

either is OK with me

you choose one of the two - one is colour - the other is B & W

whichever fit better in the balance of the cover

• Like Like x 1
  4. Luke

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Otto.....Thanks for taking on this responsibility. The image requirements are 3000 pixels minimum on the longest side and 300 ppi (dpi) for resolution. Highest quality JPEG in sRGB colorspace. If you are doing the layout, you needn't send your cover image to me. I'll get back to you regarding requirements for the resulting photocollages for front and back covers. Also, once I have everyone's images, I'll need to get them to you to start the work of assembling them, but we're a ways off from that yet.

5. Otto

Otto SC Regular

Jan 3, 2011
    Forney, TX
    Luke,

I know you mentioned somewhere that the pages would be white, and no white border would be needed on an image. What if an image has the white border from the SIJ entry as part of the processing? Might be a bit of a struggle to remove it without affecting the artistic image border. Any ideas?

Thanks,

6. Luke

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I'm aware of that Otto, but frankly I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.....although since you are doing the cover and that is at the front of the queue, we have to deal with it sooner rather than later. I'm fairly certain that the background of pages can be any color, so I wouldn't rule out having some white pages, some gray pages and some black pages. It's no secret that some images exhibit better on a darkened background and some seem to float above the page best when it is white.

Speaking specificly for the cover for the moment, we'll have to work to find a background that works well with all the images.....or at least with the most of them.

7. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Either image is OK for me one is portrait and one landscape so choose the one that matches best.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Landshark

Landshark PhotoDog S.C. Charter Member

Jul 15, 2010
    SoCal
    Bob
    If it is only one image then go with the antenna shot

• Like Like x 1
  9. Luke

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Still need cover images from 11 of you. I'll send private messages to those who haven't sent anything by Monday.
    Thanks everyone for being easy to work with. Once we have the cover images, I will pass the baton to Otto for working on the cover and will solicit images for the book.

• Like Like x 1
  10. marlof

marlof Trying to focus Subscribing Member

Dec 25, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Marlof
    Just pick the vertical or horizontal, whatever suits the layout best.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Luke

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    one more general call for your cover photo to be sent in. I'll send personal message later today to anyone who has not yet sent in their image.

12. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    I'm not at home right now, will send them as soon as I am! (tonight)

13. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    I will send my cover image tonight. I apologize for the delay.

Cheers,

Antonio

14. jhawker

jhawker SC Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Springfield, Illinois
    Luke,
    First of all thanks for your work on this.
    I thought I had done what was necessary to be involved in this, but don't see my name on your roll.
    I had sent photographs last week.
    Do you need anything else on this?
    JH

15. Luke

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    jhawker......thanks for catching this. I don't think everyone necessarily realizes the logistical mess of this. I know I got your photos.... I remember them. I made this list from those who answered in the affirmative on the "will you let us use your photos thread?".....I'll add your name to the list. There are other things that are tripping me up, too. Only knowing people for those most part by their online username and getting emails from people real life names doesn't do much to help my confusion.

Thanks for catching this and hopefully we'll have everything ironed out before too long.

16. kathyh

kathyh SC Top Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    Kathy
    Either image is okay with me.

• Like Like x 1
  17. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    You're doing a grand job, Luke

• Like Like x 1
  18. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Luke,

Sent the cover photo and both book photos about 5 minutes ago.

Thank you very much for doing this!!!!!

Antonio

• Like Like x 1
  19. Luke

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    The scorecard shows that Otto and I haven't chosen our images yet, but that's just because we're laying it out. I have sent out a second personal email to the remaining 3 hoping we can get images from them soon.

Just a brief update to keep you all in the loop.

• Like Like x 1
  20. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    :hail: to you and Otto, Luke!