Silver City - First B&W using Silver Effex

NightBird

Regular
Name
Darren
Not having had a lot of time since picking up my copy of the Nik software collection, I got to edit my first photo with Silver Efex yesterday.

8683859483_7c9e0af3d1_b.jpg

Right, that's it. I'm going to have to buy SilverEfex.

Darren, your photo is brilliant. The processing gives it a real depth and shine, but credit where it is due, the composition makes it all possible. Get that one on your wall. Or a gallery wall. Or a rich patron's wall :bravo-009:

I like the composition, the subject matter, the whole enchilada ... but, I find the infinite DOF odd and the processing seems slightly over the top for me, a smidgeon over-processed. I am not saying it is a rotten image ... in fact it is a very good image, a very striking image. For my tastes, it is just slightly too striking. As a general rule, I like to see B&W reflect what I would expect from a B&W print and this image is something different, at least to my eyes, than a B&W print.

If this is the effect you seek, something beyond a wet darkroom, then well done! Regardless of what I think, it is a very striking and beautiful image, an image worthy of printing big, very big.

Gary

Right, that's it. I'm going to have to buy SilverEfex.

Darren, your photo is brilliant. The processing gives it a real depth and shine, but credit where it is due, the composition makes it all possible. Get that one on your wall. Or a gallery wall. Or a rich patron's wall :bravo-009:

Thanks everyone.. I've just printed a 30x20 which turned out very nice. I did take on board Gary's comments and re-edited it slightly. Funny enough however, the image seemed a little over-processed straight from camera when imported to Lightroom. I didn't add any sharpening, and in fact reduced the default Lightroom sharpening a little before editing in Silver Efex.

One of my customers had a 2.4 metre (just less than 8 feet) canvas just printed as well, though I'm not partial to canvas prints personally. If nothing else, the print was impressively large while retaining more detail than I would have expected from both such a large print, and being on canvas. Luckily they have their own print shop, as I wouldn't have wanted to pay for that one.

Back