1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Silver September - a b&w PAD Challenge for 2013 - RULES

Discussion in 'Image Quest' started by Luke, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Attention all shooters. September is here and it is time for a new Photo a Day Challenge. We must not get complacent. Creating photographs is good for the soul (and it helps keep the GAS out). So anyone and everyone is challenged with shooting an image a day (or 30 over the course of the month). That's it....shouldn't be too difficult. Really anyone should be able to do this one. On a nice day, surely one could shoot 30 shots if need be. For me, they will all be black and white (or sepia or some other mono variety). And that is the challenge. If you "see" better in color, push yourself to try something different. We'll still accept color submissions. We don't want any photos submitted that weren't shot in September 2013. All new work, please.

Simply post one a day in each of the 30 threads. If you only have time to shoot on the weekends, that's fine, too. Load up one on each day's thread as time permits. I expect some lengthy threads, because I expect everyone to try. One needn't even commit to trying to do all 30. Join in as time permits and share images. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here. It's still August in my corner of the world, but I'll open up the first "Silver September" (Thanks Mark for that name....I'm stealin' it) thread for those who are already into Septmeber.

2. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    We better all do what he says, or he'll Disappear us ...

3. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    I'm hoping that this challenge will cause me to re-appear :smile:

Barrie

4. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    I'm guessing this has been re-named Silver September? Figured I'd ask here rather than muck up that thread.

5. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I'm not sure it had a name before. But it's definitely called Silver September. It reminds of my the Silver Surfer.

6. donlaw

donlaw SC All-Pro

Sep 14, 2012
    Texas
    Don
    I'm not criticizing the name. It just it makes me see more grey hair in all my selfies :)

7. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Don, if you have hair left on your head, I'm not listening to any complaints.

8. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    It's called "Silver Septmeber" dontcha know?

9. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    No worries mate, what are friends for? ...hey wait a second :hmmm:

Sorry Don I'm with Luke here - I'd prefer the fullness of salt 'n' pepper than scant and random dark wisps ...now obfuscated by a wholesale Wahl #1 :boohoo:

10. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    Alright, back on topic. :biggrin: Uh, what was the topic? :confused:

11. stillshunter

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    No topic, just rules man. :shakehead:

Talking rules:
    :wtf: Funny rule for a black and white month challenge. Luke, brother, you getting soft? :wink:

Got to say I'm looking very forward to seeing this changing season in monochrome - should make for very interesting viewing indeed.

12. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I was wondering about that, too... bit pointless having a B&W month if you are going to allow colour. Then it would not be "silver" at all.

13. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Great idea Luke. I've been toying with the idea of having a "Film Fall" and this ties in nicely...

Sent from another Galaxy

14. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    This is the time when having some bulk film on tap would be handy - one could roll 12-shot cassettes, perfect for knocking out a few shots and developing quickly.

As it is, I'll probably end up posting great gobbets of images every few days rather than a nice trickle.

Also I could feel justified in posting colour pics as colour film is also Silver based (but I probably won't)

15. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    If everyone wants to know about the color allowance, it's to encourage more participation. Some just aren't comfortable shooting in b/w. I try to include as many from the group as possible.

I'm going all mono. No need to feel offended if someone slips in a beautiful color shot. And if you are, just turn down the saturation on your monitor. :tongue:

16. stillshunter

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Oh Luke, then again we need more folks like you on the UN :thumbup: