Single in January 2016, days 11-20 - How are you finding it??

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least I'm making my peace with the flip screen on the EM5 II. I really didn't want it, but it's worked much better than I thought and I can see the advantages over the tilt only for still photography.

My first reaction to the EM-5 was, "everything it so tiny"! Buttons hard to punch, just one at a time. Camera hard to pull out of the bag, without punching, turning, smearing something. But, after a few days, I am beginning to get more at ease with it. And, as much as I doubted the ability of the I.S. to handle my shaky old frame, it is doing amazingly well. I held it over my head, at arm's length, with the P20 lens, and shot into the kitchen. The lighting was very dim. And, you can read the captions under the toaster buttons. They were 20ft from the camera. I am impressed.
So, we carry on!

First day without a photo - feeling low and not happy with my output generally. Thanks to members who have been giving feedback. Will not say 'quit' just yet but am realising I'm more of a technician than an artist. Will still follow and comment even if I do stop taking photos.

First day without a photo - feeling low and not happy with my output generally. Thanks to members who have been giving feedback. Will not say 'quit' just yet but am realising I'm more of a technician than an artist. Will still follow and comment even if I do stop taking photos.
Aw come on, there's no end of subjects in the house. You've still got time today.....

Don't think for a minute that the rest of us don't feel like this occasionally. Getting a "portfolio worthy" photo on a daily basis is an extremely difficult, if not impossible, task, so one's expectations must be tempered somewhat. You have, in fact, been posting some nice work. Just keep at it, don't take it too seriously, and have fun.

Cheers,

Antonio

Last night I took two shots: the first, five minutes before midnight, and the second, five minutes after. Got my day 14 and day 15 photos done in about ten minutes! Of course, you may very well think that the quality of the photos shows the amount of time invested...

Since I got back from my extended holiday I've found it very hard to get back into this. That pesky work keeps getting in the way, and the English weather is not conducive to going outside. Maybe next week...

Many of us feel exactly like this but you have to push through it. This challenge is no big deal, but your photography is important. This is an outlet for your artistic sensibilities and that matters greatly to you. People who don't like their own voice still sing for themselves.

Just posted the view from a back bedroom window this evening. Finding these last minute shots better than over thinking it during the day. Planning to get to Lumiere London tomorrow but not planning to take the RX1!

This discussion makes think of Vivian Maier. All that work, much of it not even developed, was for herself. It was her way of dealing with a world that was clearly a little strange to her.

I think as soon as you acknowledge that many day won't yield great images, it becomes considerably less hard to actually make it through the challenge. I try to stay attentive and allow myself a lot of leeway and experimenation. Of course, many attempts will fail or at least not succeed to a certain degree - but it's all about exploring.

Today would have been quite frustrating if I had tried anything approaching perfection (as if I could ever reach that anyway): always changing light, mostly grey and bleak, only very short spots of sunshine I more or less missed entirely due to work, snow, drizzle, sleet ... But I went for a (second) late afternoon walk, and all things considered, it wasn't all that bad. I actually posted one of the borderline images for today because it's interesting enough that it's usable ...

M.

I'm still shooting, just struggling at the moment to find time to process and post; I'm three days behind as I write, will catch up tomorrow. I confess I'm finding it easier this year, and I think it's because I haven't set myself too many restrictions. In previous years I have said "mono only" and I struggled to find enough material that worked. I have also in the past had a "shoot list" pre-defined and stressed out trying to complete it. This year I've just let it happen and it has worked better for me. I think SiJ only works if it fits into your day-to-day life - forcing it makes it a chore, and leaches the fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back