Single in January Book Editor needed

I had a play with doing a graphic design for it bit it isn't exactly minimal. Unfortunately (fortunately ;)) there are limitations with the the way that blurb do the covers so it wouldn't look quite the same anyway.

7220180680_c27f9e7e02_c.jpg

Simple works. With the thumbnails or not. Elegance is not usually cluttered or complicated. I really like what Will shows. I like the gray background. But one question. The book is square I think. The shown sample is not. Is this just a cropped portion? Just curious.

Steve, you are correct that the book is square. Will has made a nice simple layout that wraps around from front to back (with the title and that one photo on the spine). Unfortunately, the Blurb software that I used to create the book doesn't allow for a wraparound cover design.

Will and I are discussing how best to resolve this issue. Ideally, we could use this design as it appears here, but we'll likely have to tweak it a bit. Thanks all for your support. We will be trying to keep it simple and clean.

Armando,
the problem is that they offer 3 different ways to create the book.....kind of Goldilocks and the 3 Bears. The first option was too simple and didn't offer enough flexibility and control. The next option works as a plug-in for Adobe-inDesign as a download for CS3, CS4 and CS5 which gives you the most control to really lay it out any way you want (including a wraparound cover).....but that looked too complex (and I don't have the software). The last option was just right (or so I thought).... it was pretty easy to operate and allowed a lot of flexibility to create nearly endless layouts.

The only thing I can find that it doesn't do is wrapaound covers. So you will see some Blurb books with wraparound graphics on the cover. The people who did those books have the Adobe software (and a lot more skill than I do). So the problem is that I did the layout in this proprietary software that won't allow the cover layout we want. And I can't "export" the work I've done on the layout..... it's just what it is..... it works with the Blurb software and its' templates only.

So that's our impasse. Will is going to have a play with it after work. I think it'll still look great without the complete wraparound. It'll just take some re-jiggering to squeeze that piano keyboard image onto either the front or back.

Also, could one of you bibliophiles tell me if that spine text should be flipped. I feel like if the book is lying on its back that the text should be rightside-up. But I have no books to use a reference (I actually don't much care for books......oh, the irony).

OK I've re built it in the Blurb idd plugin with the spine text flipped (good point!)
1am now so I'm off to bed. I'll do an alternative non wraparound version tomorrow evening and then post them both in here.

Back