Single in January - credits page info request

Luke, if I read you correctly, each person's images are going to occupy two facing pages ... so, just to make things even more complicated for you, can we specify which of our images are to be on the left and which on the right ? :D

Feel free pdh. I feel like I've taken composition into account regarding how the images play off each other, but they're your shots.

I like the idea of keeping it simple. The book is about the images, and not so much about the technology, if I understood the reasoning behind doing it in the first place. I don't really care what f-stop, or shutter speed was used when you took the shot. I just want to enjoy the image as a stand alone experience.

Perhaps something under each image as simple as:

"The Title of This Image" - by "photographer"

would be sufficient. If you want to fill up pages at the rear of the book with who, what, when, where, etc., then I guess that would need to be considered. Personally, it doesn't matter to me.

I've tried to say it as simply as I can, but maybe I can say it even simpler.

1. The credits are for the back of the book
2. the pages with the photos will have 0 text on them......just the photos (and a page number so that the credits are useful).

So you can decide what info you would like to share. Just your name...photo titles (if they have any), camera info, inseam length, favorite ice cream flavor, etc. ;)

Hmmmm, no title/photographer with the images? That may be too simple, in my opinion. I don't know of much art work that isn't titled and credited.

I personally feel some of my titles also explain or give context to my images, so I'd prefer to see the titles with the images - and indeed in my mail to Luke I asked to have the title and my username accompany the images.

I guess I can make 2 books. One that is text free.....and one that has titles (when available) and usernames (or real names where people prefer them). But I personally don't want to see the images shrunk down to accommodate the text. I view it much like an art museum where you stand back and take in the artwork on its' own merits. Then, if it interests you (or you feel the need for more) you can step forward (or flip to the credits page) and read a bit about it. I understand that people have different ways of digesting the photos...and i'm cool with that.

I guess I can make 2 books. One that is text free.....and one that has titles (when available) and usernames (or real names where people prefer them). But I personally don't want to see the images shrunk down to accommodate the text. I view it much like an art museum where you stand back and take in the artwork on its' own merits. Then, if it interests you (or you feel the need for more) you can step forward (or flip to the credits page) and read a bit about it. I understand that people have different ways of digesting the photos...and i'm cool with that.

Not trying to be argumentative but, I don't believe a small single line of text with the title and photographer is going to have much, if any, impact on the size of the image. Besides, it becomes a pain to have to skip to the back/front of the book for each image to learn what the title might be, if any, or the photographer, and then return to the next page for the next image only having to continue to go back and forth through that cycle. Comparing this book to an art gallery is a bit of a reach as well. In an art gallery you can usually step a bit closer to discover the title/artist information either beside, or below the art work. Wouldn’t it be silly to have to go to another part of the gallery for each art object that you want to know more about?

Again, just some thoughts,

It's not really any extra work to do it both ways. There is also no extra cost involved. I can do it both ways and people can buy whichever one they prefer. I don't really want to turn this into a big debate. I've looked through a lot of photobooks in preparation of laying this one out, and I just really like seeing the images isolated on the page. But obviously some people prefer to see the photographer's name and a photo title. I can easily accommodate both parties. Hopefully everyone will be happy. That's really my goal.

I definitely appreciate everyone's enthusiasm for the project.

Thanks all for your input. I'd rather do a little extra work and make sure everyone is happy. There seems to be enough people on both sides of the fence on this issue to make it worthwhile. I remember how hard that 30 day slog was so a couple extra hours laying everything out 2 ways is a drop in the bucket.

Another vote of thanks for your hard work and patience, Luke -
My personal preference is for images without title or info but with that info at the back - but if it's no problem to make it available both ways, so much the better.

Information just sent by email to your gmail address.

There's still a few of you who have not responded to the request for how you would like to be credited in the book. I was hoping to get a good deal done on the credits front today, but it's hard to do without everything in front of me.

Back