Single in January - First resolution for 2012?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a query on practicalities ... all images to be posted to the Gallery, and linked in a post in this thread with some bloggy words?

Let's see what Mark says. I'll suggest that he edit his first post to outline the details.

Thanks BB. I've updated the original post with:
How to post your images
Whenever you get the opportunity - as it is not a requirement to upload daily, just make a photo a day...
  • Navigate to the Single in January Gallery.
  • Click "Upload Photos" on the top right.
  • On the next page, ensure your Category remains as "Single in January", if not select it from the drop-down menu.
  • Click "Choose File" and browse to your image file
  • IMPORTANT - Please use the common nomenclature when entering your photo title "SIJ - DayXX"
  • EVEN MORE IMPORTANT - Please enter text about this image, and/or its making, in the "Description" field.
Most the rest is up to you and explained in the FAQ, such as whether you want to be notified via email of any comments on your photo. But I would strongly encourage you to say Yes to "Allow members to post comments?" field in the Extra Options.

As I noted earlier this challenge doesn't work so well with the W/NW option. It best runs with commentary so a dialogue is encouraged; so please use the Comments field on daily photos to encourage and/or offer constructive criticism for each person on their images, or even just share your experiences with the challenge so far...you'll find others hitting similar blocks and moments of inspiration through the process, and so it's great to know where you are all at during each phase.

Also added BillN and jakri to the roll call. Great to have you guys on board :grouphug:

Also Sue, apologies it took so long for me to get to your post. But thanks to Bill for answering your question....you still have a few more days if you decide to go down the K5 path instead.

Reactions: BBW
Sounds like a great idea. I've always thought this forum could do with more photos and less gear:eek:
I'm going to give it a go, with my one and only LX5, so the challenge for me is to use it every day rather than restricting what I use.

In regards to what size should be uploaded it's all explained here: https://www.photographerslounge.org/f17/serious-compacts-gallery-faq-46/

What is the maximum picture size I can upload?
Uploaded images must be 1500px in greatest dimension. For best displayed image quality, I recommend a max dimension of 1024px for the uploaded image.

There are lots of tools available for resizing images. My personal method is to upload them full size to Flickr. Flickr resizes them automatically to a variety of sizes (and unlike many online service does so while preserving image quality and sharpness). I take the "Large" size from Flickr, which is 1024px in max dimension, and upload that to the Mu-43 gallery.

Mark will be around at some point and we'll get all these things nailed down. I'm glad more and more are going to opt in!

@P.H & trisberg - great to have you on-board! I've updated the roll to reflect your grouping up at the starting blocks

@kyteflyer - also locked you in to the XZ-1 on there too Sue ;)

@Otto - BB hit the nail on the head with the reply (see below). Mate I think I might have missed your nomination. :blush: Can I ask, again, what you're using for January? Great news that you'll be with us on the journey.

@All - I tried not to duplicate too much with the FAQ, which remains seminal with respect to all things photo posting related. Once again I'd ask that you have another read of the sticky previous to the challenge (it's not too long ;)) so we're all on the same page. Of course, if there's anything that's not covered and still has you scratching your head, then please ask it here....as I'm sure if it has you baffled then you're not the only one.

Here you go:

Ok, I'll join in with a brand new S95, and will use the 35mm setting using the front ring. Just bought this and an sx230 for my wife. This will give me a good reason to use, and learn the new pocket cam. It is replacing my old Canon s400 that I've been using since 2003.

Since I plan on having it with me every day, I think this will be easier than trying to use the XZ-1 or the Canon G10.

Here you go:

Ok, I'll join in with a brand new S95, and will use the 35mm setting using the front ring. Just bought this and an sx230 for my wife. This will give me a good reason to use, and learn the new pocket cam. It is replacing my old Canon s400 that I've been using since 2003.

Since I plan on having it with me every day, I think this will be easier than trying to use the XZ-1 or the Canon G10.

Thanks Otto, you're on the honour roll. Great to see a once-staple of this Forum making a return for 2012. I think it, and the LX-series, became overshadowed by the XZ-1...and the X10. Maybe it has something to do with not having an "X" in its name? :confused:

Talking staples, and the roots of this forum, still no Sigma DP or Leica X1. Hmmmmm..... Did everyone with one trade up to an X100?

hmm I considered it, but I've been using my DP2s solidly for about two months ... it seemed a shame not to give a less-used combination a proper workout

hmm I considered it, but I've been using my DP2s solidly for about two months ... it seemed a shame not to give a less-used combination a proper workout
Nah Paul you're spot-on. T'is a personal challenge, and so maybe save your DP2s for another month ;) But, surely, there is someone else out there with the lil' Ziggy, and an X1, that might be interested in evening out the field.

OK, since no one has yet taken up the challenge with a Sigma I'll have a go using my DP1. I have been neglecting it recently and it will make me get back into foveon photography. (I must remember to charge the battery everyday though!)
I'll probably have to carry the GRD3 with me as well though or I will get withdrawal symptoms :(

OK, since no one has yet taken up the challenge with a Sigma I'll have a go using my DP1. I have been neglecting it recently and it will make me get back into foveon photography. (I must remember to charge the battery everyday though!)
I'll probably have to carry the GRD3 with me as well though or I will get withdrawal symptoms :(
Good man Will!!! Cheers mate.

I know I'm a bit of a hypocrite saying it, since I sold off my DP2s, but folks often forget how sweet the files off this sensor are. Yeah it's wrapped up in a clunky interface (some say the DP-series is like a 350 Chev built on the chassis of a wooden billy cart), but the rewards when you get back to the computer. :D
Will, you and the Ziggy DP1, are on the roll. (y)

I would come in with X1 except I'm going to be away for a week and I won't have the X1 with me. If it is acceptable to either miss a week or use another camera for a week I'm in.

Still debating X100, GXR or IPhone 4s
Bob, mate, there's still a few more days left. How's about you have a longer think about it and let us know. More about what you're more likely to have with you most days in January. Or what you're willing to throw some concerted effort behind to better learn for a time.

I would come in with X1 except I'm going to be away for a week and I won't have the X1 with me. If it is acceptable to either miss a week or use another camera for a week I'm in.
Tough one to call. The challenge is a 31 days all in. Will you have a camera with you while you're away for that week Kathy? Best defer to something other than the X1 if you're more likely to have it on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back