Single in January - So how's it going? Day 11-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I admire all of your passion and persistence on all of your one photo a day for a year projects, this SIJ event has reaffirmed for that I prefer my normal approach to image making, shoot what I want, when I want. I spend enough time behind a camera shooting when and what others want. Please do not misunderstand me, this project has been a lot of fun, it is just I have always been self motivated in my photography and enjoy shooting hundreds of images at a time and then put down the camera for a day or two. Best of luck to all of you pursuing you one a day projects, I will be watching.

Wow a PAD for 2012 - you guys have some vigour :eek:

Aspirationally I'd like to think I'll take a photo each day but in reality I'm like Bob and work in fits and spurts - though SiJ is getting me into a pattern of taking the GF1 with me more places which can only improve the odds. But I'd certainly be keen to see how y'all progress. Once you've committed please be sure to let us know your respective URLs so we can have a sticky beak. Also, as I said previously, I don't have a monopoly on the Image Quest folder so feel free to get a thread going there to get yourselves organised.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the Loctite on my PL25 but am also looking forward to subsequent months to get to know my other lenses better - they are being neglected (which is a shame as they both arrived the last week in 2011 :blush:) Who knows I might join the next "Single in..." if it fires up again and if I find a lens languishing in the bag - or maybe even to test the GRD that I'm now contemplating...thanks to you folks firing off with one :blush:

But as the Buddhists and Taoists say let's be in the moment. We still have Single in January....and I hope folks - like Bob - are still in?

So Brian are these destined for the Gallery shortly? As I've been itching to see these....

My loca Sam's club has a processing system that is awaiting a Bulb. So- 1-hour turned into a week. Roll 2 will be in, and hopefully roll 1 will be done. Then Scan and Post.

I almost used my Polaroid 180. But that can be expensive!

Reactions: BBW
My loca Sam's club has a processing system that is awaiting a Bulb. So- 1-hour turned into a week. Roll 2 will be in, and hopefully roll 1 will be done. Then Scan and Post.

I almost used my Polaroid 180. But that can be expensive!
Sorry to hear that Brian, but then again isn't this the beauty of 'analogue' lost in the 'digital' age....let's call it delayed gratification or anticipation. ;)
Looking forward to those film scans whenever they arrive. Failing that, a slide night at Brian's and Pavel's house?

I busted today. Back and hip not getting better very fast. Went to Dr. today and now new pains added. Oh well, getting old is not for sissies. I'll be back. Ya'll keep at it!

Well, I just could not leave it alone. About 11:20 PM I in desparation grabbed wife's FZ30, and took it's crude portrait for day 11. Not pretty or dramatic, but at least I kept the faith! Oh, and that "old" camera still takes great pics, especially close-ups.

Well, I just could not leave it alone. About 11:20 PM I in desparation grabbed wife's FZ30, and took it's crude portrait for day 11. Not pretty or dramatic, but at least I kept the faith! Oh, and that "old" camera still takes great pics, especially close-ups.
Good on ya Steve. Keep at it mate! (y)

My hat off to you Steve, that's dedication

I could give numerous esoteric reasons why this is fun but the truth is this adds a bit of the thrill of the hunt to my photography. More than a month would get old quickly but for now it's motivation to shoot and to explore the yet untouched settings and combinations of settings of the x-10. And boy, there's a whole bunch of those. That shot of McCormick's statue will be oft repeated because it offers strange colors, the need for high DR, and all the detail a pixel peeper could want. That was a nice discovery, despite my walking past it for the better part of 25 years.

I could give numerous esoteric reasons why this is fun but the truth is this adds a bit of the thrill of the hunt to my photography. More than a month would get old quickly but for now it's motivation to shoot and to explore the yet untouched settings and combinations of settings of the x-10. And boy, there's a whole bunch of those. That shot of McCormick's statue will be oft repeated because it offers strange colors, the need for high DR, and all the detail a pixel peeper could want. That was a nice discovery, despite my walking past it for the better part of 25 years.

the challenge is perfect for re-examining things we're surrounded with but fail to take a deep look at.

the challenge is perfect for re-examining things we're surrounded with but fail to take a deep look at.

Well said you two! :clap2: I'm finding precisely the same thing. Moments of the past where you'd feel almost bored just walking from A to B are now a series of pregnant moments and potential photographs. My better half, and the dogs, can't quite fathom my new swagger. I can't quite seem to walk straight any more. Lots of stopping, stooping, craning my neck, etc....and this is even without a camera around my neck :blush:. I'm sure they think me balmy - like I'm boxing some inner demon, but I, at least, am having more richer the experience....even if it does compound the delay in the arrival of their respective dinners by a good ten minutes each time a simple 1 minute task is at hand :blush: Enjoying the minutes more this month...

i was out for a long walk today and thought of writing a whole screed here about my response to the challenge so far ... all practical and intellectual ... then Lili comes along and posts that lovely reflection ... so it'll keep for a while ...

Onwards and upwards - I finally got up yesterday's picture about 20 minutes ago. I'm now waaaaaaaaay behind in commenting but must push on to achieve my "Single" for today. I've got a couple "in the can" but I know they're not going to make the cut, unless I'm desperate.:eek:

The longer this exercise goes on, the more I seem to be taking pictures that weren't pre-planned, or plans alter when I reach my destination. So far the majority have been within walking distance, and the furthest I've traveled is about 5 miles. I've got a planned shot for next week that will involve a longer journey, but since it's more about the story behind it, I might well kick that into touch, the weather will play its part as well.

Barrie

Barrie, and how do you think "not planning" has been? Do you feel more free to do what you want? I can only say that as a viewer of your photos that I have really been enjoying them.

BB, I suppose if I'm honest it does worry me a little, I suppose that's the engineer in me wanting to be in control. Having said that day 13 was entirely spontaneous, by which I mean seconds to decide, having opened the rear door of my Landrover and looked through the front screen. Today was spontaneous in so far as I had about a 5 minute walk again to exploit what I saw from my kitchen window. However I halted half way to my intended objective as that row of trees fulfilled a mood setting urge to produce a dark and moody interpretation. There was some red fringing to the cloud after I packed up, but the overall mood of the sunrise was not a peaceful one and I wanted my photograph to reflect that. I was happy with both of them, and I know recently that my intended and pre-planned shots, both for day 11 and 12 didn't work whereas the shots seen when on location, but not pre-visualised, worked. Day 4 was a planned shot, but I went to the location for some other shots, only to see the lighting conditions as I arrived, day 5 exploited weather conditions and did rely on some local knowledge, but was otherwise unplanned until the last minute.

Barrie

I'm off to Mexico for a week tomorrow. Not sure about internet connections so maybe not much in the way of pictures or comments but I'll be keeping to the one-a-day, none of them planned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back