Single in January - So how's it going? Day 11-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but the GRD IV is staying, it is my I have a camera with me all the time unit, sits in my travel briefcase just waiting to jump into action. I have to admit there are times when I am photo lazy when I travel, been there too many times, will be to busy, these are the times I do not bring my X100, M4/3 or whatever camera with me, but the GRD is always there just in case I get inspired. The X10 might have pushed the GRD out but it's packed size it just a little too big, so it will sit in my in-town brief case for basically the same purpose. I know this all sounds a bit nuts but it works for me I keep my travel stuff always ready to go separate but equal to the in town stuff. The are just too many last minute trips when I get busy.

Reactions: BBW
Sorry but the GRD IV is staying, it is my I have a camera with me all the time unit, sits in my travel briefcase just waiting to jump into action. I have to admit there are times when I am photo lazy when I travel, been there too many times, will be to busy, these are the times I do not bring my X100, M4/3 or whatever camera with me, but the GRD is always there just in case I get inspired. The X10 might have pushed the GRD out but it's packed size it just a little too big, so it will sit in my in-town brief case for basically the same purpose. I know this all sounds a bit nuts but it works for me I keep my travel stuff always ready to go separate but equal to the in town stuff. The are just too many last minute trips when I get busy.
Mate all tongue in cheek...as is my way!

Sorry to harp on this mate but I'm curious. So let's warp forward three months and you have the XP1. Now, focussing only on your 'fun stuff', the GRD's in the briefcase, the GXR out the door and the XP1 posse bagged up for more contemplative shooting - like the Contax as you say (and I wish you didn't as this is reason enough to consider the XP1...though my line-up is based on that system...damn them for not having a fast 35mm yet are you listening Panasonic!!?!!) and possibly the X10 for the versatility of the zoom. But what then comes of the X100 and MFT stuff? What's their niche?

LANDSHARK......"only be the 90 and the 21, with others only getting about 10% use"

The late Galen Rowell (spelling?), said that for 85% of his shooting, he could get by with an 85ish and 24mm. It set my thinking 25 years ago with a slightly different combo. 28mm instead of 24mm. Though I am very comfortable with 50mm also.

I'm almost afraid to jinx myself by saying that I've been enjoying myself...whereas I really was afraid I would not be liking my "forced shooting" and, thus, would hate this SIJ.

For me, I find that although on some days I've taken a lot of worthless pictures... I've always - knock on wood - come away with something I, personally, feel positive about. I have also found that I've become more free...and that I'm enjoying the post processing quite a bit...trying out new things... I've also found out that the diminutive Fuji X10 is a very impressive camera. I already knew that from seeing other people's photographs with it...but now I'm finding more out for myself.

Earlier today I was thinking about what I'd do after January... One thing I'll do is go through some of the other photos I have and decide whether they're keepers and what to do with them... And then there's that book that I've promised to do...you know a book of photos for myself and my family.

I want to add that I am enjoying seeing my fellow SIJer's photographs and feel maybe we've gotten to know each other a little bit more, or at least differently by doing this together.

Now I need to settle down and catch up with about 30 photographs! Good thing I'm not into football (it's the big playoffs between the New York Giants and the Greenbay Packers for those who aren't from the USA;))...but it is good background noise.:D

I'm almost afraid to jinx myself by saying that I've been enjoying myself...whereas I really was afraid I would not be liking my "forced shooting" and, thus, would hate this SIJ.

For me, I find that although on some days I've taken a lot of worthless pictures... I've always - knock on wood - come away with something I, personally, feel positive about. I have also found that I've become more free...and that I'm enjoying the post processing quite a bit...trying out new things... I've also found out that the diminutive Fuji X10 is a very impressive camera. I already knew that from seeing other people's photographs with it...but now I'm finding more out for myself.

Earlier today I was thinking about what I'd do after January... One thing I'll do is go through some of the other photos I have and decide whether they're keepers and what to do with them... And then there's that book that I've promised to do...you know a book of photos for myself and my family.

I want to add that I am enjoying seeing my fellow SIJer's photographs and feel maybe we've gotten to know each other a little bit more, or at least differently by doing this together.

Now I need to settle down and catch up with about 30 photographs! Good thing I'm not into football (it's the big playoffs between the New York Giants and the Greenbay Packers for those who aren't from the USA;))...but it is good background noise.:D

:bravo-009: Well said BB. I'm with you on the image printing. Not only is it about time I get some up on the wall, but I think the more trophies, the more likely I can justify any future spends with the better half....not that I need anything else of course :blush:

I love football. Though there is only one true code and this ball has no edges and is played with the foot only :laugh1: Knowing as much as I do about your brand of sport over there it would have to be the Giants' day....as a team of packers doesn't sound formidable...especially in Aussie parlance. Over here if "you're packing it" then it's not something to boast about....unlike in the US (talking about concealing your 'first amendment right' a.k.a. firearm), here it's about discharging ammunition in a completely different place and form ;)

At this point I am not sure, I have a feeling the X100 will hang around for a while, the 35mm for the X-Pro1 is not supposed to be out until 2013, the M4/3 is a different question, I have already given my daughters my EP1 and GF1, along with a few lenses, I am going to give my wife my 9-18 for her EPL1. I do not think Fuji will be doing a 7-14 equivalent so that and the EP3, will probably stay, as to the rest most will more than likely go to my daughters or put up for sale

I expect days 16 through 31 to be significantly more difficult for me for the following reason. I was on vacation during the first 15 days of the challenge. Alas, tomorrow not only do I go back to work, but I also start a new job. For those of you who may not know, the practice of corporate law is what pays for the cameras (and all other bills) at the Ramirez household. I have been working as general counsel for a financial services company for the last 5 years, but tomorrow I go back to working as corporate counsel at a law firm in San Juan. Should be a nice change of pace and is an exciting move for me, but we'll have to see how it will impact my free time during the second half of the month.

Cheers,

Antonio

I expect days 16 through 31 to be significantly more difficult for me for the following reason. I was on vacation during the first 15 days of the challenge. Alas, tomorrow not only do I go back to work, but I also start a new job. For those of you who may not know, the practice of corporate law is what pays for the cameras (and all other bills) at the Ramirez household. I have been working as general counsel for a financial services company for the last 5 years, but tomorrow I go back to working as corporate counsel at a law firm in San Juan. Should be a nice change of pace and is an exciting move for me, but we'll have to see how it will impact my free time during the second half of the month.

Cheers,

Antonio
Well both good and bad news here Antonio. Best of luck with the new job, you must be experiencing a mixture of excitement and trepidation? Hope we still have you on Days 16-31. I'm a little like you. I'm back to work in a couple of days, so days 19-31 will be a struggle. We're having a shuffle of execs at work so I hope as the new guy to the organisation - moved there from another exec position at the start of 2011 - that I might be immune. But I've gotten a little bit of a reputation....already :blush: So I fear they might move me elsewhere to crack skulls.

Posted this as a bug in Amin's thread, I don't know if affects others, but no comments box appearing in the SIJ gallery this morning, so sorry guys but currently unable to comment on your efforts this morning.

Barrie

Amin disabled it yesterday. You have to go to the photo options and choose to comment. I must confess, it has slowed me right now. The quick reply is more encouraging.

I don't mind using the photo options for comments now that I've realized it's there. My bigger problem is that good comments take a while and eventually life intrudes.

Much to my surprise my new DP1 arrived today.
Surprised because it only cost me £180 new and I wondered, after I had ordered it and they said it was currently out of stock, if it might have been a scam.

Well ... I took nearly 100 shots today ... and 98 of them are Just Not Good Enough ... I am getting very brutal in LR in discarding shots that last year I would have kept "because I might go back to them and have another go" ... but you can only make a silk purse out of a sow's ear so often, and that's partly a "new catalogue resolution" and partly a result of the SiJ ... also I've stopped taking so many photographs and today was an aberration ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back