1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Small backpack for sony nex gear ?

Discussion in 'Sony E-Mount (incl. NEX, A7, A7R, A3000) Forum' started by Wolf, May 10, 2012.

1. Wolf

Wolf SC Veteran

Mar 4, 2012
    I'm looking for another bag for my camera gear (i have two small shoulderbags for when i go basic, but I don't like big shoulderbags)
    I wonder, would a lowepro slingbag 102 be big enough for a nex 5n with 55-210, 50mm, 30mm and fuji x10 or x100
    I'd also like a small seperate compartment for my cellphone or a small bottle of water
    (i prefer backpacks over shoulderbags when i have more gear with me)

Or anybody got any other nice suggestions for small backpacks for a nex kit ?

2. Jason Joseph

Jason Joseph New to SC

Mar 20, 2012
    New York City
    I just picked up a Lowepro 300 Flipside.. which is probably a bit big for your needs , though none the less a quite svelte bag.
    The 102 should fit you fine. I tell ya though.. if you want a lil extra carrying room.... The flipside 200 might be great for you. One feature I love is I dont have to set the bag down to access anything. I simply un shoulder it.. and with the waist belt fastened, it allows me to swing the bag round to my stomach where it hangs.. and because of its design, I can enter the bag from this position. I can change lenses standing in a stream if I needed to! Plus its nice to know that on a crowded subway car... no one can stealthily enter my bag!
    ~j.j.

3. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I bought a LowePro Compuday Photo 250 last Autumn and have used it on a number of trips since. I think a really small bag is a false economy because it becomes uncomfortable if you end up over-filling it and I like enough space for a light sweater/rain jacket and hat, Tab and a couple of spare lenses besides my camera itself. the Photo 250 is well made and very light with space for a small laptop if needed and a sensible organiser pocket. A nice touch is a slot in the back so that it can be securely fitted over the handles of rolling luggage. It has a side-opening camera compartment that is a decent size (and adjustable via a strap in the main compartment). I like that it is bright orange inside, and easy to get at by slipping the strap off your right shoulder and pivoting the bag on your left. I don't like that the camera compartment has a gap of a couple of inches under it where it protrudes into the main compartment. It droops if you put in a heavy camera so I end up putting something (usually a few rolls of film in boxes) underneath it in the main compartment - no big thing, to be honest.

I would highly recommend. It certainly looks like a backpack but not overmuch like something containing valuable camera kit.

4. Wolf

Wolf SC Veteran

Mar 4, 2012
    thanks for the advice

anybody got experience with Tamrac - Model 5786 Evolution 6 ?
    My two shoulderbags are from tamron (the same colour pattern) and i really like them a lot.

Would the Tamrac 5786 have the same storage space (or maybe a bit more) then the lowepro 102 ?

5. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    I don't know how much you are looking to spend, but at the cheaper end you have the Courser bags. I have a shoulder bag and I really like it. I even take out the foam insert and use it as a massive handbag. As does my husband. Anyway, they do two backpacks as well which I will probably invest in when I next get paid. Maybe not slick enough for what you want?

courser canvas camera bag | eBay

6. Wolf

Wolf SC Veteran

Mar 4, 2012
    nea, just looking around at some options
    if the quality/looks are good enough, i don't mind paying a bit more

7. redsnapper

redsnapper New to SC

May 9, 2012
    Maybe this post here can help you with your decision.

8. john1027

john1027 SC Regular

Jul 11, 2010
    Alexandria, VA
    Try the Kata 466i. I use it with a Nex 7 kit. It is light weight, built-well, has a 13 inch capacity laptop compartment, as well. Fits under an airline seat easily and can accommodate a tripod when needed. Overall, a versatile backpack that can be over-stuffed when needed but carries light loads well also.

Kata KT DR-466I-BB Digital Rucksack (Black) KT DR-466I-BB B&H

9. omrmstro

omrmstro New to SC

Sep 2, 2012
    i would suggest you to go to stores of nike , adidas etc where you will get all type of collections .in it as me using a shoulder bag of reebok as its light weight and it has several sections in it to keep mobiles,camera,books,bottles etc . i really like it