1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Snow days

Discussion in 'Canon DSLR Forum' started by Hyubie, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Hyubie

Hyubie SC Veteran

Jun 8, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Snow finally arrived here in Boston. It has been a very mild winter prior to yesterday - the only snow accumulation I can remember was about 1 inch that disappeared the next morning. I'm not complaining - but I do miss playing in some snow with my kids! :smile:

So yesterday there was about 2-3 inches, and today it hasn't stopped snowing yet. I took a few shots of my 2 daughters while they're out enjoying the "white sand". Most are taken with a Rebel XSi, last one was with a Fuji X10. :smile:

As always, C&C are welcome and appreciated.

6731925213_753a416ff1_b.

6731925519_aae3c75ef8_b.

6738118503_c683a58ea7_b.

6738118193_970d9a4658_b.

6738117983_527ffedbeb_b.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    Hi! Nice work shooting these beautiful images with the snow around. You asked for C&C so here is my take:

I find the first image to be slightly overexposed (face) but it works for me as it gives your girl even more of an "angel face". To me the second one is slightly underexposed and would be perfect with a +1/3 EV exposure? Apart from that, I have nothing to criticize :)

I'm curious about the bokeh of the first two shots. What lens did you use?

Thanks for posting!

• Like Like x 1
  3. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    You have captured the fun very nicely indeed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hyubie

Hyubie SC Veteran

Jun 8, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Hi Julien, I purposely slightly over-exposed that first image - I thought I liked the effect it produced. I was playing with this over-exposure thing just for these shots - I found it had a nice effect with white all around, so the colors really popped out.

As for the lens, again these were taken with the Rebel XSi with the $90 Canon 50mm f/1.8. I'm starting to re-appreciate the Rebel (I tried to sell it but no takers), and as I only have one prime for it, I'm treating it as a fixed-lens DSLR. And I'm really liking the results. :smile:

5. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Beautiful shots, Hyubie....I wouldn't change a thing!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Looks like they are having a blast

• Like Like x 1
  7. Crsnydertx

Crsnydertx SC Top Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Alas, the $90 Canon "Thrifty Fifty" now goes for $105....but still a bargain.

• Like Like x 1