So... advanced cameras in the hands of "happy snappers" creating problems?

I shoot what I see and move on ...

I think this about sums it up: You "see" better than most, Karen, thats why your photography is outstanding. And thats where many people fall over... they don't see as well. *I* don't see as well as you do. Or perhaps differently. Trust me, even though you consider yourself a happy snapper, you aren't. You make great photographs. And it doesn't matter if you only shoot JPG.

Oh by the way... whats with all the negativity a few pages back? I'm a bit puzzled. Opinions are just that... theres no right or wrong with them...

I think, especially coming on the heels of the "camera phones are killing photography" thread, there was a confusion over the meaning of the title of the thread, which was necessarily telegraphic. It means "Advanced cameras may be creating problems for new owners who place too much faith in the camera's ability to perform perfectly, without the judgment of the owner, in all situations," but it may have been taken as, "Advanced cameras in the hands of people who don't live up to the artistic potential of the equipment are creating problems for the photographic community." As my old boss used to say, "You never know what you've said until you get an answer."

Ok, I'm going to "out" myself, a good 90% of my photographs is "happy snapping". I shoot what I see and move on ... usually trying to catch up with my hubby whose got longer legs than me! I do most of my photography when I am with him or others (who don't have cameras) so I don't have the leisure of twiddling the dials or trying to remember where the heck the settings are in the menus before I take my shots. I'd get moaned at and what would be the fun in that.

Do you look at my work and think heck she would take much better pictures if she took it off P? I very much doubt you've gave it any thought. I don't think about it when I look at your pictures. I just look and think, yeah I like it, or no I don't.

Sometimes it's good to throw away the rule books. Make it your new year resolution!
I'd never given how you shot a moment's thought. But now knowing is just further evidence that you are the absolute poster child for "it's ALL in the eye" - everything else is just icing on the cake. The eye for image is the cake and you're one hell of an amazing cake Karen!

-Ray

Ok, I'm going to "out" myself, a good 90% of my photographs is "happy snapping". I shoot what I see and move on ... usually trying to catch up with my hubby whose got longer legs than me! I do most of my photography when I am with him or others (who don't have cameras) so I don't have the leisure of twiddling the dials or trying to remember where the heck the settings are in the menus before I take my shots. I'd get moaned at and what would be the fun in that.

Do you look at my work and think heck she would take much better pictures if she took it off P? I very much doubt you've gave it any thought. I don't think about it when I look at your pictures. I just look and think, yeah I like it, or no I don't.

Sometimes it's good to throw away the rule books. Make it your new year resolution!

You've got a good eye, Karen.. doesn't matter if the dial is on priority or if you're shooting jpeg..

and yes, you are right, throw out the rules and do your own thing and if it doesn't work then do a little more but if it works, stick with it!

I've never heard anyone say this....
I don't think anybody actually comes right out and *says* it, because they wouldn't want to seem an idiot. However, I personally know one individual who spent an absolute fortune on his first DSLR, a Nikon D80 with an 18-105 lens. Nice bit of kit, but he never understood it. He never really tried. He thought if he just pressed the shutter, that it would, in fact, do everything for him. So what he got was unfocussed, underexposed, overexposed etc etc... He never learned about aperture/shutter/ISO and how they interact, and in the end, the camera sat on a shelf gathering dust. (Literally, I was horrified when I saw the state of it). I pointed him at a number of websites where he could learn at his own pace. In the end he realised that he needed less camera, not more. I recommended the Fuji X-20 and he's been a happy chappy ever since, and at least most of his photographs are in focus. He doesn't do any post processing but at least he has something. But he still won't admit the D80 purchase was a mistake.

I've never heard anyone say this....

Another thread was posted shortly before Yeats started this one, and the person asking for help comes very close to "I thought I bought the best camera, why can't it to everything for me." He had a large gathering of people, indoors with ordinary room light, chose auto trusting the camera to get the settings right, and later in the thread asks if you have a good camera, why do you need post-processing? To his credit, he asked for advice from more seasoned shooters before returning the camera as defective, and he seemed to understand the answers he was offered. Sony - New RX100M2 taking blurry pics "New RX100M2 taking blurry pics"

Oh THAT's what that thread was about? I never opened it.

Another case of my old boss's dictum, "You never know what you've said until you get an answer." - a particular problem with thread titles, which by nature have to be short. I thought it was a product review and didn't open it, either, until someone linked to it in another thread and I realized it was a request for guidance.

Thanks for your very, very, very kind comments! Gave me a chuckle and a smile for Christmas!

Re Star Trek, I studied the Original Series as part of a film and television history course at Uni (final year), loved it! One the one hand, lovely light space fluff but on the other a fab and brave platform for talking out about the serious social issues of the time. My all time favourite space fluff is Voyager. Now that has to lose me some points!

Happy Festive fun to you all!

Back