Leica So I sold my M7 and Summicron 50, now what?

Yeah it's always good to walk into a room with a G'day, this is me and a little bit about me rather than launch in and assume folks will automatically play nice. Hence why I am a huge fan of using the Welcomes and Introductions

Anywho....if anyone is afraid of misinterpreting tone then I'd recommend using emoticons :2thumbs: Tops invention.

So to the OP. Mate always a hard transition. I struggle finding a digital equivalent to the film M with a couple of capable lenses. Yeah the X100 and DPs come close but they are still not quite there IMHO. The GRD is soooo sweet. But the files are a little short. I've asked folks here about the Leica X2 - as the equivalent of a Barnack with that simple but dependable UI - but no real love. The search continues my friend....unless you can spring for an M9. Unfortunately a little too rich for moi.

Please be mindful of Brian's opinion, he is an old and very reliable set of hands...

I'm not sure if I mentioned it yet, but you might consider the Ricoh GXR 50mm A12. It really is a great lens albeit on a somewhat "dated" sensor. I've done some extensive testing with the GXR/A12 and the E-M5/PL 25mm and I still prefer the GXR output, although both are very good for their own reasons. The GXR/A12 50mm is my mainstay.

Hi guys, my first thread here but I guess the title says it all. This week -after having owned them for many years- I sold my Leica M7 and Summicron 50 mm lens. My primary reason for doing so is that for the past year, I hardly ever used them anymore in this digital age. For me the time has finally come to say goodbye to film. It is not that I don't like the medium any longer, It's just that I don't see myself doing lots of darkroom work anymore within two or three years from now.

Where I live, it's getting harder and harder to acquire the films and chemicals I need and this will only get harder in years to come. I figured I'd still get some good money by selling it now instead of waiting for another few years and letting it collect dust. At least now I made one person really happy and I have some money to spend on a new camera.

I digital Leica is not an option for me, they're far too expensive IMHO, even the new X2. A DSLR or mirrorless system are no real options either, now that I have sold the M7, I am looking for something even more compact. Since I am used to compacts (having owned a Leica C2 and Olympus MJU II), I am looking for something similar. My main concerns when choosing a new camera are;

* excellent build quality
* excellent optics and IQ, preferably a non-zoom wide-angle to normal lens (28mm to about 50mm in terms of 35mm lenses).
* Largest possible sensor
* about 1000 USD at most

I have already narrowed my choices down to four compacts;

Fuji X10
Fuji X100
Sony RX 100
Ricoh GRD IV

What would be a wise choice? I remember visiting the Photokina in 2006 and being really impressed with the first Ricoh GRD so the GRD IV is really tempting.

Juergen

Hi Juergen, I use the Fujifilm X-Pro1 as an alternative to the Leica M series cameras. It similar in style, size and handling, just doesn't have the frustrating focusing finder that the M cameras have. Oh, before anyone bites my head off for not knowing what I'm talking about, I have an M9 with a 35 mm Summarit-M lens. It's now boxed up ready to be sent off to a dealer to be sold (commission sale) as my X-Pro1 with the 18 & 35 mm lenses have taken over as my main camera. It's not perfect, the X-Pro1, but for a mature person who wears glasses it's a better option for myself. Yes, many use and enjoy the M9 and can focus quickly but for myself, it hasn't worked.
If you can afford it, and it's a good deal more affordable than an M9, then I'd say give the X-Pro1 a try - you might be surprised!

Cheers, Macjim.

I use the Fujifilm X-Pro1 as an alternative to the Leica M series cameras. It similar in style, size and handling, just doesn't have the frustrating focusing finder that the M cameras have

::laugh1:
oh dear I don't at all encourage or condone trolling, but I'd love to see the thread that results if you posted that at RFF ...

::laugh1:
oh dear I don't at all encourage or condone trolling, but I'd love to see the thread that results if you posted that at RFF ...

Sorry, but that's my honest opinion after trying the M9 and the 35mm. I just missed to many photographs with it and had difficulty focusing it. It's not a critism of the camera and lens – please don't think that – but it's not for everyone. There's no disguising what fuji were gunning for with the x-pro1 – it works for me!
Long live Leica and the M rangefinders! Now, of I could find the £20,000-+ for an S2…

Hi Juergen,

At the end of last year I got rid of my Leica M8 as I was not happy with the IQ at anything above 800ISO, got a great trade in for it and as part of the deal I got the X100 with case, spare battery & lens shade.

I have to say the the X100 is superb as well as reminding me of the Leica M3 from an aesthetic and size perspective, it is also a handling camera with a great tactile feel to it coupled with amazing IQ right up to and including 3200ISO so I personally find it a better camera in every way to my departed M8.

Good luck with the decision.

Hi Juergen,

At the end of last year I got rid of my Leica M8 as I was not happy with the IQ at anything above 800ISO, got a great trade in for it and as part of the deal I got the X100 with case, spare battery & lens shade.

I have to say the the X100 is superb as well as reminding me of the Leica M3 from an aesthetic and size perspective, it is also a handling camera with a great tactile feel to it coupled with amazing IQ right up to and including 3200ISO so I personally find it a better camera in every way to my departed M8.

Good luck with the decision.

I'm waiting on the X200.

Cheers, Macjim.

Hi Juergen et al,

A DSLR or mirrorless system are no real options either

REALLY?

I'm late to the party, but none the less, congrats on your Ricoh purchase...

Having owned several Leica M cameras (and a bunch of Barnacks), a few Contax RF's as well as a Hasselblad or two, I can understand where you're coming from. As a professional photographer, I can clearly remember vowing NEVER to go digital. I ate those words very early on with the purchase of the original Nikon D1 (circa 2000?!?) when I was essentially forced to get into digital by clients demanding "camera ready" digital files... Over the years since that, I've totally embraced digital imaging and feel it has made me a better photographer... But I digress...

I know you've made your well informed decision, so my entry comes simply as a matter of offering my POV on the subject. That said, I have fallen HARD for the Olympus OM-D E-M5. This little M 4/3 GEM and the many superb lenses available continually amaze me and keeps me inspired to SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT. It's been a LONG time since I've felt like this! Okay, enough said.

Cheers!

Wes

Back