So... what is a compact again?

Discussion in 'Philosophy of Photography' started by krugorg, Mar 13, 2012.

1. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    Okay, I decided to give the K-01 a go. :eek: I've always kind of liked the idea of the Pentax Limited lenses and have toyed with the idea of picking up a K5 for landscapes (or in other situations where I didn't mind having a larger camera). Then along comes this ugly duckling K-01 and I decided it would be a less expensive option, along with being fairly compact with the 15mm Limited mounted.

So.... can I still post K-01 images here? :biggrin: To me, this feels like a compact, but in reality, it is only a bit smaller than a K5 mounted with that same 15mm limited lens. Its also roughly the same size as the X-Pro1 and, again roughly, similar to a GH2/G3 or E-M5 with a PL25 or Oly 12mm mounted.

Not entirely serious with this post, as the community is more important than the classification I think, but I am curious what everyone thinks qualifies as a compact anymore?

• Like Like x 1
  2. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    More compact than my current machine. K20!:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  3. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Amin et al have always said pretty much what feels compact to you. I would put the K-01 in similar category to Nex7 etc. Its a "serious compact".

• Like Like x 1
  4. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    If it feels compact to you, then it is. In my case, anything equal to or smaller than a X00D Canon or an M Leica.

Cheers,

Antonio

• Like Like x 1
  5. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer S.C. Charter Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    I'm awaiting the arrival of a K-01 today. I think it will be a good carry about with the new ultra slim lens and the fact that I already have three Pentax lenses makes it a useful addition (I hope!). I don't think it'll be that much bigger than the smaller bodies by the time they have their larger lenses on. I already post pictures from the k5 from time to time and hopefully the more compact K-01 will be accepted too ::smile:

• Like Like x 1
  6. retow

retow SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Looking forward to your posts. That yellow K-01 looks interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
  8. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Ah but there isn't a thread (yet) to discuss just how serious your camera is ...

• Like Like x 2
  9. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
  10. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    Good point. :biggrin: Also... if you need about 300 more hours of intense classroom instruction to reach amateur status, how many seriousness points does that knock off your camera?

11. Brian

Brian SC Top Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    We should start a thread on "not a compact".

Kind of a "You know your camera might not be compact if":

You have to do curls with 10 pound weights in order to lift it to Eye Level...

• Like Like x 1
  12. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    Look forward to reading your impressions! Which lenses do you have?

I am keep my expectations on AF performance low, but it will be interesting to see how it compares with something like the GXR 50mm.

13. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer S.C. Charter Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Kyle, I have the DA35 macro and the FA 43 and 77 Limiteds. I'm looking at the slim 40mm to be my walk around lens and I guess the other lenses could be bought along if the situation demands it. I'm interested in the implementation of the focus peaking and I gather that the AF may have issues with the DA35 in particular but if manual focus is useable then this won't be a problem. My GXR 50mm is on the "to go" list for now. I just can't justify spending £600 on the28mm unit, if the prices were lower then yes, I would carry on but the K-01 with kit lens is only £679 so ........

14. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    I have lusted after those lenses a bit in some of the image threads. I probably will end up grabbing something for portraits down the line... that 77 looks like it would be great.

I probably should have ordered kit lens, especially since it was only $150 more here. My thinking was that I wanted something with quick shift focus - it looks like you can enable peaking while in AF and then go to the quick shift for fine adjustments. Sounds cool.

• Like Like x 1
  15. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I didnt realise it had focus peaking. Must have passed over that information because of my negativity about the design. That makes it much more usable for those of us with less than 20/20 vision. Reconsidering now, will i sell the K-5 and get the K-01... hmm...

• Like Like x 1
  16. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    There is a video and description how well manual focus works at the following blog. Not sure how it will compare with other peaking implementations, but looks fun to use indoors at least.

Ned's Photo Journal - Pentax Photography and Notes

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/38328148?portrait=0" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

• Like Like x 1
  17. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    Hi

what's "focus peak"

is it a "lock on" when using manual focus that blocks you pressing the shutter button unless the subject is in focus?

18. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I always felt the original *ist D with the DA 40 pancake was pretty compact, and it was a DSLR. OTOH, the X-10 is small but not really pocketable. I think the best definition of compact is how much weight training do you need to carry it around. :tongue:

19. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Like, "my camera is more seriouser than yours?"

LOL!

20. Brian

Brian SC Top Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    My camera is so serious that the Face Detection Algorithm refuses to take pictures when the subject is smiling....

• Like Like x 3