Solar Eclipse 2017

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Richard, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Richard

Richard SC Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    Do any of you lucky people live along the predicted route of tomorrow's solar eclipse? The US states which lie along the path of totality are: Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, and North and South Carolina (it says here) so you guys are in for a treat if the skies are clear.

I've never been fortunate enough to experience a total eclipse of the sun. Those that have say it's a spectacular sight and an unnerving, eerie experience - a rare reminder that we're standing on a big rock in space with another big rock circling around us.

The last eclipse we had here was of the partial variety and it chose a day when there was complete cloud cover. Standing in the garden with my home-made viewing equipment (large cardboard box with a hole at one end and a paper screen at the other, worn over the head) I thought I detected a slight darkening of the skies. I definitely detected some laughter from the neighbours. It was generally a big let-down.

So, good luck if you live along the path of tomorrow's eclipse or if you are travelling to see it. Enjoy the show but don't take any risks with your eyesight.

-R

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  2. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
  3. Richard

Richard SC Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    I've just discovered that our next total solar eclipse here in the UK will be in the year 2090, when I will be 127 years old.

It's something to look forward to, I suppose.

-R

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Based on how my body feels at 48, I would definitely NOT look forward to when I am 127. I remember a partial eclipse when I was young and I wasn't impressed. I can't imagine seeing a total eclipse being much more exciting. We're expected to get around 83% of totality, but our weather forecast is for clouds and rain.

I really feel sorry for the folks that have traveled to a destination along the arc of totality if they end up being clouded over. But I won't lose any sleep over it.

5. tonyturley

tonyturley SC Top Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    We are expecting about 87% occlusion. A year ago, a colleague of mine called hotels in the the nearest town to us (about a 6 hour drive) with 100%. They were asking $800 a night for rooms that usually go for $50-60. A year ago. Don't know what he ended up doing.

6. Richard

Richard SC Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    That's particularly disappointing as it means that the Koorie people of New South Wales won't have the opportunity to use their traditional and colourful term for a solar eclipse - 'Kerosene lamp bilong Jesus gone bugger-up'.

-R

7. tonyturley

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    It begins. 1308 local time in the US Eastern time zone. Fuji X-T1, 50-230mm lens at full reach, and Thousand Oaks Optical solar film. eclipse1.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  8. donlaw

donlaw SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Texas
    Don
    Crescent shapes in the tree shadows
    IMG_0074.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  9. Here in AZ if you did not know what was going on you would have just thought it was a slightly cloudy day.

10. tonyturley

Nov 24, 2014
    Scott Depot, WV, USA
    Tony
    eclipse2a.JPG
    eclipse3a.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  11. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia