Leica Sold my RX1, picked up an X2

That's the key, you said it yourself..."It is what it is" once one accepts that and approach a camera on it's own terms, you have a relationship, gotta work at it. I've had an M9/Summilux 50, stunning pictures, a lot of work focusing for me. X1 is close to the Leica in terms of image detail, but not a look, in my hands the Sony did what it was supposed to do but no more, most of the images left me unmoved, now that's just me mind you. I personally find I can happily snap photos all day with an M9 or these little X series and I smile when i see most of them. The colors and rendering are very pleasing to me.

Yes...you are right...and I hope I made that clear...that part of the issue was that it does a certain thing...and I either bond with that certain thing or I don't. I did the same thing with the Fuji X100S...I love to take close up wide open shots and it most certainly fails in that particular task...it excels at a lot of other things but that precluded it from being my main camera.

Plenty of detail, wonderful color, small... good enough.

Fresh.jpg

I really enjoyed my X1, Bruce and I've no doubt that this newer version is wonderful.

There are so many great cameras for us all with our different wants and likes.

rpavich, I do have to just say here, however, that I found and find my X100 to be excellent at closeup shots wide open though I usually chose more of an f/4. As always each of us finds our camera's strengths and weaknesses and how they match up with our own wants, needs and desires. Vive la difference!(y)

P.S. Bruce, you know if you want to buy an used Olympus VF2 you just might find someone has one lying around who'd like to part with it. Not me, I sold mine several years ago...was it to Bill/bilzmale?;)

rpavich, I do have to just say here, however, that I found and find my X100 to be excellent at closeup shots wide open though I usually chose more of an f/4. As always each of us finds our camera's strengths and weaknesses and how they match up with our own wants, needs and desires. Vive la difference!(y)

Interesting! I wonder if there is a difference between the X100 and the X100S in that regard? The manual for the X100S even states that Sony doesn't recommend shooting at close range with anything less than f/4.

But like I said...it was a learning experience, and the camera had so many other positives that I'm actually going to go purchase it again now knowing it's one limitation.

Well, since picking up my Sony RX-10, I'd been missing my X2 which I took to Italy and have been romanticizing about the camera once more. I will say that the RX10 is about the best all in one solution I've ever owned, it just works, great IQ and function. That being said, I missed the little Leica so much that I just picked up a really nice X1 which I've always felt had better color than the X2, plus I've always wanted a steel top model. (photo courtesy of the RX10, it didn't mind)
untitled-9.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for this thread. I'm seriously considering an X1 once my finances - dismal at the best of times - have recovered from an unexpected hit. They can be gotten relatively inexpensively now. An X2 would be nice, especially as I still have the Olympus VF2 that works on it. But I've heard the X1 is sharper. What is your experience? Sometimes these X is sharper than Y debates are about as important as how many angels dance on the head of a pin, so any ideas you have would be welcome. It may be a moot point, since my budget will probably only cover an X1, which I've wanted since the day it came out.

In my view, the X2 and X1 are identical in sharpness. The X2 is operationally, a little quicker and has a few more megapickles. The X1 to me however, has a more pleasing color rendering and 3d pop, IQ alone allows you to forgive any shortcomings.

Back