Some I took today

Discussion in 'Nature' started by texascbx, Apr 12, 2011.

1. texascbx

texascbx SC Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Canton Texas
    Ricky
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Another interesting and colourful set - thanks for sharing. Really like #3 of the vultures on the stump.

3. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Ricky, I always enjoy seeing the animal life that surrounds you. I am smitten, still, by that little calf standing in that field of gold. Beautiful.

• Like Like x 1
  4. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Love that calf mate! Looks about as old as my younguns! He yours?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator S.C. Charter Member

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Nice set of pictures ricky, thanks. I too like shot #3 most, well captured.
    Did you took all shots with your A33 plus zoom 18-218 lens ?

• Like Like x 1
  6. texascbx

Jul 10, 2010
    Canton Texas
    Ricky
    Yes, I took them all with the A33 and 18-250 Tamron. I was out looking at our pond that was scraped out and made deeper a couple of weeks ago. The trees were dead so the dozer knocked them down. Then I noticed the black vultures sitting quietly on the knocked over tree not even fifty feet from me. So I crept closer to them. The pose of the two of them is just before they launched into the air and even though I thought I was ready to capture the launch, I missed it.

The baby longhorn is mine. She is a cute little thing. She will soon be like her mother.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. texascbx

Jul 10, 2010
    Canton Texas
    Ricky
    Interesting as their posture changes as I get closer. The last one I was about 25 feet away, very close.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Yes, it looks as though they're getting ready to take off any second!

Great observations, Ricky. They feed my need for the country life. Where I live I'm sort of in place that is neither here nor there. It's not urban, though the town right next door has a real urban quality. I live in a town that came into being in the 1600's...so there are some beautiful historic buildings and churches...and still a few places that are preserved, though not many at all. We have the plus of being on the coast...but 99% of the coastline is privately owned. Fortunately there's a pretty big county owned nature preserve that abuts the Long Island Sound...but it's not like having farm land... We also have a town park that has sweeping lawns, old style Spanish roofed architecture...and a beach...but again, it's not the same as rural beauty.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Very Nice set.

Dj

• Like Like x 1
  10. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer S.C. Charter Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    Great pics, birds are really hard to capture!

• Like Like x 1
  11. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    Ricky - do you shoot em (literally)

There was a programme on the BBC last night - apparently the domestic cats in the UK kill 54 million "garden birds" every year

Remember the UK is very small compared with the US - the UK is less than 100,000 square miles - just over one third the size of Texas - (a lot more people and gardens of course, in the UK)

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  12. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Hook'Em Horns!!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. texascbx

Jul 10, 2010
    Canton Texas
    Ricky
    Shooting architecture is fun too BBW.

Right now I am blown away by the tiny yellow wildflowers. They are so bright in the sunlight. They are simply beautiful this time of year.

I had the tank/pond in the back pasture cleaned out since it had silted in over the years and was only a couple of feet deep, the rest taken up by mud. Had the two dead trees dug up too and knocked down so I can burn them. Planted some bald cypress trees planted too. It looks pretty bad now and will for a while. I hated to knock the old dead trees down since so many birds like to land on the them, but they were dead and I did not want the branches falling off and killing one of my cows.

[​IMG]