1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

some light, and some Mackie lines

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by pdh, Jun 20, 2013.

1. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Unfortunately the jpgs for #2 & #3 have weird apparent sharpening artifacts, though no sharpening has been applied at all to the files.

But I hope you get the idea anyway ...

9093862840_066c4cf49f_c.

b20130620-3 by _loupe, on Flickr

b20130620-1-3 par loupe, on ipernity

9091641843_afeb55d8da_c.

b20130620-1 by _loupe, on Flickr

2. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    Not sure which is my fave, the first for the lines or the second for the diagonal composition.. but I like!

3. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    The first for me, I absolutely love it. If I were a watcher of TOWIE etc I'd say - "Well Jell".

4. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    the second one kinda looks like a wood block print. The first is pure beauty and number 3 is obscure enough that I want to figure out what is going, but then after awhile, I just don;t care, I like the shadow and light and could care less what the "subject" might be.

5. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    Gorgeous. Fill a gallery full of this stuff, and I'll spend all day in it. Nicely done.

6. demiro

demiro Serious Compacts For Life

Dec 15, 2011
    You've got some serious art stuff going on there pdh. Very nice. If it wasn't quite so good it would inspire me to try and do the same. But at this level I know I have no chance to match it. You have effectively crushed my spirit!

7. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Hmm I'm not sure whether that's a compliment or not ...

(for non-UK types, TOWIE is the acronym of an inexplicably popular "scripted reality" television series, whose name I cannot bring myself to spell out in full, and the sheer unmitigated horror of which has to be seen to be believed)

8. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    oh heavens, don't be daft!

9. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    The light patterns of the third are beautiful :) Looking at them all over again for the third time, I like number one too!

10. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    Can you explain Mackie Lines please? I looked it up but didn't get much help!

11. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    If you look at the bottom half of #2 (you might have to click through to look at it large) you'll see distinct dark boundaries around the edges of some of the leaves at the right hand side and round the blossom petals right at the end of the branch. Those are Mackie lines.

I expect you found your way to the wikipedia entry - Mackie line - Wikipedia, - but I'm not sure what I can add to that without going into a tutorial on how development works (and my grasp of things is pretty flaky, so I wouldn't recommend that)

If you are desperate to know more - and you must have got a Chemistry A-level to have got onto a Vet degree - the modern reference text for photographic chemistry is apparently Haist's Modern Photographic Processing Vols 1&2 - it'll only cost about £200 for the pair and will give you something to read in the long winter nights up there in Caledonia :biggrin:

12. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    Ah, okay, I see it. Looks a bit like the effect when you set a piece of paper on fire in the middle ( sort of). Being Scottish we don't do A levels, but I do have CSYS Chemistry and degree level Biochemistry and Pharmacology, but my long winter nights are unlikely to be spend with my nose in a textbook for another few years - I've done enough of that for a while!. That said I do have a specific biochemical theory I'm working on which will require an increased understanding of the minute details of metabolism. So it's textbooks after all - bleugh.
    We are in the long summer nights just now, if the clouds clear you can play golf at midnight. I came home at 11.30pm last night and it was light enough to see by. Fabulous.

However it is you make it happen, you're doing a great job with it, a lovely effect and some cracking artwork resulting

13. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Photographs. We need photographs.

14. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    Running short on the photographs just now. Have really run myself into the ground to be honest, looking forward to a week off work to remember who I am, not just what I do.

15. pictogramax

pictogramax SC Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    The first one for me.