some shots with the HS50EXR

Discussion in 'Superzoom Salon' started by Luke, May 26, 2014.

1. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    I don't have a lot of time for photography, but a few of you seemed vaguely interested in seeing what I do with this camera. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. If anyone else has some shots or experiences....feel free to add them to this thread.

A super brief "user experience" review is that the camera is nice and chunky with a deep grip. If someone wants a small superzoom, this isn't the one. It's also appreciably lighter than a DSLR with a big lens on it (probably roughly comparable to a DSLR with a decent kit zoom attached though this is a guess).

I've decided to shoo this camera in RAW only because I want to squeeze every drop of performance out of this small sensor. No one will confuse the IQ with any decent camera with a prime lens. Early indications are that it compares pretty well with any camera with a zoom lens (if you factor in sensor and lens efficiencies, sizes, handicaps, etc.).

Here's a b/w (because I couldn't seem to get the color right......more on that later). This is wide open at full zoom......
    [​IMG]DSCF7054 by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

Here's another at full seems a bit soft, but it may be camera shake with an exposure of 1/55 (at 1000mm equiv.) or I may have slightly missed focus ( this is also cropped in a bit)........
    [​IMG]DSCF7077 by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

Here's a very brief video I captured at full zoom.....I think the video quality is quite good (for what it is), but obviously a steady shot at 1000mm is not so easy....turn the volume way up to hear the chattering of the chippy......

Here's one in super challenging harsh light.... Not APS-C by a long shot, but a lot better than i expected for a tiny sensor cam.....
    [​IMG]a walk through the woods by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

Macro mode is much appreciated......
    [​IMG]DSCF7034 by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

I'll share more as time permits. But my initial impressions are about what I expected. I paid $350 and wanted something to cover all uses. I didn't expect it to exceed at anything, but to be a good all-rounder. I think it may be a good compromise.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Very interesting, Luke. The images aren't bad at all. Number one and number three are my favorites. I appreciate any shots you have time for and whatever impressions you share with us.
  3. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Must admit I'm a bridge camera fan. For what they can do in a single package the convenience trumps IQ for me (especially with a type 1 sensor).
  4. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Thanks, Luke. Good selection.
  5. RT Panther

RT Panther SC All-Pro

Dec 25, 2012
    Be interesting to see how it stacks up against the XS-1.
  6. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    I owned an XS-1 briefly last year. The XS-1 has a MUCH nicer viewfinder. Despite the XS-1 having a bigger sensor with fewer megapickles, I feel like the IQ is close enough to not matter. The HS50 has a stiffer zoom which is less pleasant to use, but it also means that it doesn't have the zoom creep of the XS-1 (which I really disliked). And I mainly wanted more reach......any time I am using a tele lens or a superzoom, I find I always run out of zoom, so for me, it made the choice of the HS50 a little easier.

I also dig the super slo-mo video (I don't think the XS-1 has it, but I could be wrong)
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    I've been using the HS50 much more than the X100 in the last month or so. I much prefer the look and the feel and output of the X100, but having that all-in-one versatility is pretty great, too. Thought I'd share some more photos here for anyone who is interested to see what it can do in a marginal photographer's hands. Please bear in mind, that all of these have some pretty heavy PP applied. They are not super-freakish looking SOOC.....LOL.
    (and most of these have been shared here in other threads so apologies to anyone who is suffering through them again)

Also, I think they are all public photos and most should have EXIF attached if you're into that sort of thing....just click through to view them on flickr.

[​IMG]DSCF7320v2 by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

[​IMG]Wade in the Water by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

[​IMG]Clematis by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

[​IMG]the pretty girl that lives across the street by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

[​IMG]unidentified creepy thing by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSCF7254 by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

[​IMG]A duck walks into a pharmacy.... by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

[​IMG]Griese b/w by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

[​IMG]how baby flies are made by Luke Lavin, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 3
  8. pdh

pdh SC Legend