Sony Some stunning climbing photographs here

Climbing is one of those things that I find really cool when ithers do it, but I have no real desire to do it myself... I guess I'm just not quite comfortable enough with heights; I can scramble a little while hiking, but that's usually my least favorite part...

Climbing is one of those things that I find really cool when ithers do it, but I have no real desire to do it myself... I guess I'm just not quite comfortable enough with heights; I can scramble a little while hiking, but that's usually my least favorite part...

It isn't the climbing that scares me....so much as the falling!

I was always happy on rock or ice but ladders? no, ladders terrify me Peter

Funnily enough....talking about heights.....I recently revisited the details of the tight rope walk between the two towers of the world trade centre back in the 1970's. I remember the guy had no safety kit and actually laid on his back on the wire at one stage. I saw a documentary film about it, and remember busting out in a sickly sweat when I saw what he was doing.

Phillipe Petit was his name, Here is a youtube video of stills.

Climbing is one of those things that I find really cool when others do it, but I have no real desire to do it myself... I guess I'm just not quite comfortable enough with heights; I can scramble a little while hiking, but that's usually my least favorite part...
I don't have the upper body strength to rock climb, plus I am very uncomfortable with open heights. I can go up in a glass elevator on the side of a building just fine, but put me near the edge of a 2 story parking garage, and my knees begin to wobble.

We have one of the world's oldest rivers flowing through our area, and in the southern mountains of WV it has cut a very deep gorge, leaving exposed many sandstone cliffs. They are breathtakingly beautiful, and draw loads of tourists - as well as scads of rock climbers, many of them free climbers. The parking lots near the cliffs fill up very quickly on nice mornings down there. I once drove down there in the wee hours of the morning to catch the sunrise at Diamond Point, a giant rock platform overlooking the New River on The Endless Wall Trail. I was completely alone on the rock, keenly aware there was nothing but 1,000 feet of air between me and the river if I wasn't careful. It was terrifying and exhilarating at the same time. It was also something I don't ever plan to do again. Got my photos - check. Lived to tell about it - check.

I think it was the late Spike Milligan that said, "I'm not afraid of flying- I'm afraid of crashing" which I guess amounts to the same, but with climbing, I think its the adrenaline that is sought, it's sort of a legal high?

The climbing world recently lost one of the most amasing all round mountaineers, He died on Mt Everest dong what he loved. Some of his speed climbing records will stand for a very long time. This portrait by Alpiniste and mountain guide Johnathan Griffiths shows some of Ueli's fabulous achievements. By the way Johnathan is a big fan of Sony Alpha Full Frame Cameras?

Ueli Steck - A Eulogy // European Climbs — Alpine Exposures

Funnily enough....talking about heights.....I recently revisited the details of the tight rope walk between the two towers of the world trade centre back in the 1970's. I remember the guy had no safety kit and actually laid on his back on the wire at one stage. I saw a documentary film about it, and remember busting out in a sickly sweat when I saw what he was doing.

Phillipe Petit was his name, Here is a youtube video of stills.

This activity, slack-lining became very popular in Yosemite

Back