1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Some underwater photography with the RX100

Discussion in 'Sony RX100 Forum' started by mattia, Dec 31, 2014.

1. mattia

mattia SC Regular

Dec 20, 2013
    Thought I'd share a few Sony RX100 shots from my last (half a year ago already!) holiday that involved diving - Mafia Island, Tanzani. Weather was good, but quite frequently a touch overcast so lighting wasn't always ideal.

Gear: Sony RX100, Acquapazza Aluminum scuba housing. In this case no wet lenses (I have a fisheye and macro diopters) because I managed to destroy the lens mount adapter last time I was diving (Zeeland in the Netherlands; surge + rocks = busted adapter). This is a great combo, with the 1" sensor settling in on a sweet spot between good higher ISO performance and reasonable depth of field without having to stop down too far (more = better in most UW settings, where you want to get really close to your subject).

I'm a rank amateur at the whole underwater photography thing, with a mere 29 dives under my belt and only maybe 10 with a camera. It's tougher than land-based photography because you need to really control your own bouyancy and position in the water, get close, and there's funky white balance stuff to deal with. It's even a little outside the default 'range' of adjustability (custom WB errors out without strobes) beyond 6 to 8 meters unless there's bright sunlight, so I've got a red filter for the next trip (Bonaire in March).

Small aside: anyone with the RX100 and the RX100 mk II? Because if the only difference is thickness of the body due to the flip-out screen (i.e. distance from front edge and all button locations, the lens being the same) then I can probably fit a mark II into my housing, which would be a nice 'backup' / upgrade.

Anyway, a few pictures. Click on any one to see the full set. Everything shot in RAW, processed with DxO Optics Pro.

Small squid in the shallows
    15144831838_15fb9dc70b_b. DSC07525_DxO by mattia_v, on Flickr

Seahorse
    15331117312_347ba2f859_b. DSC07556_DxO by mattia_v, on Flickr

Hermit crab, illuminated by a LED flashlight during a night dive
    15308394406_058272c558_b. DSC07612_DxO by mattia_v, on Flickr

Soft corals, my girlfriend (dive buddy) bokeh'd out in the background. Still a landscape photographer at heart I guess...
    15328272091_12ccc05a0d_b. DSC07922_DxO by mattia_v, on Flickr

Banana nudi (very small, cropped image. RX100 not a perfect macro camera without wet lenses):
    15331448405_816ba79ef7_b. DSC08006_DxO by mattia_v, on Flickr

Another nudibranch.
    15144681879_145e2c78d4_b. DSC08051_DxO by mattia_v, on Flickr

I want to try some strobes at some point, but I'll probably just rent those rather than buy, considering how infrequently I manage to dive...

• Like Like x 7
  2. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Great shots!

You can check camera size comparison web site, but there is also evf/flash hotshoe with m2 in addition to flip lcd thickness. M3 lost that and has a new design eg evf replaced internal flash and the flash is on the top etc plus the new lens...

3. mattia

mattia SC Regular

Dec 20, 2013
    Thanks!

The hot shoe is not an issue, and I need/want to keep the onboard flash as an option to trigger strobes, so no EVF for me. I'm perfectly happy with my A7r/E-M1 pair for land-based shooting.

May just have to go to a local shop with the housing and try it out...

4. Well done