1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Someone please explain to me?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by kyteflyer, Jan 19, 2012.

1. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Why it is that I am seeing the word "lensor" used instead of lens. There is no such word in English. Perhaps its a neologism but I'm starting to wonder why. I'm a bit of a pedant about English and its use, as well as semantics... so please someone put me out of my misery.

2. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    It's a neologism, or more specifically a conflation of "lens" and "sensor", coined to describe the Rich GXR lens modules. It is descriptive and apt.

3. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    only with regard to the Ricoh GXR system -- where the lens and the sensor is in one unit.

[edit -- Lightmancer beat me to it. I was too busy futzing with my nonsense below]

That being said, and no disrespect, but words are not an objective reality, existing outside of the human mind and condition. Words have meaning only as the land on the ear, and are processed by someones brain. Language continually evolves. I've never quite agreed with the idea of a static language approach, but that's just me I suppose.

4. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I thought it's being used to denote the combined lens-sensors of the Ricoh GXR series of cameras, I hadn't seen it in general use ... yet ... it's an ugly little neologism, but it does serve a purpose I suppose in connection the Ricohs

5. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Thanks, Bill. I have seen it used in connection with the GXR modules (and that makes sense, given the presence of a sensor in the module), but sadly am seeing it creeping in, in reference to lenses made in the standard fashion (not in this forum yet, please god it never happens)

6. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    hmm ... there's been a few full and frank discussions on that over the past few thousand years ... glad you're able to be so categorical!

7. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Language is not static, I know that (linguistics grad here). Its just that the term grates when i see it used for other than GXR modules. Your post was what prompted the question, but I meant no disrespect either: I've seen it used, as I said, in really silly circumstances.

8. chromatin64

chromatin64 SC Veteran

Apr 26, 2011
    A Leekist in York, UK
    I'd have preferred 'sens'.

9. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I have great sympathy with what you are saying. I loathe creeping "verbation" - itself a neologism - and "ebaylish" - there are few things more teeth-grating than a "mintY lensE" and I have reserved a special place in the third circle of Hell for those responsible for "Toys R Us" :banghead:

10. Brian

Brian SC Top Veteran

Jul 7, 2010
    So it is not "lensor" and "lensee" for loaning out lenses for others to use?

11. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I have no problem if use of the word "lensor" is used beyond Ricoh's GXR series... as long as it refers to a lens with a sensor attached, all in one unit. Of course, no company except for Ricoh is making lensors as of today.

12. Crsnydertx

Crsnydertx SC Top Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I had to look up "neologism".....:redface:

Forty years ago, I couldn't spell "engineer".....and now I are one....:smile:

• Like Like x 1