Something personal and unrelated to photography.

I've never mentioned (at least I dont think I have) that I was adopted at birth. I had a good life as an only child, and the only real issue for me was that I didnt look like *anybody* in the adoptive family.

Fast forward 66 years: after getting the Ancestry DNA test done, I find I have two half-brothers. One isnt interested in meeting me, the other apparently started looking for me as soon as he knew of my existence. Its a fairly long story, we have been communicating for a year now, and he and his wife are practically on the doorstep. They've come all the way from Queensland, and are staying locally in a caravan park (they travel with the van) and for various reasons not the least of which is anxiety, they wont be coming to the house.

Tomorrow, we will be lunching together. They are staying in the area for 3 days and then moving on to Melbourne to catch up with other rellies. We will have a few meetings and long chats (unless its a disaster, you just dont know, really) and try to get a sense of each other face to face as opposed to phone or text.

There will be photographs.

Oh Gosh! Really really keeping fingers and toes crossed for you. I hope it works out the way you would like it to. It must be daunting and thrilling at the same time.......

TBH I am really anxious about it. Communicating by email and text is so different to face to face. Oh well, if its a disaster I'll send them off to Melbourne early. LOL!

I have a headache.

Don't sweat it. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. The first time I went to the Philippines as an adult, I observed behaviors in my cousins - people I had never known - that seemed eerily familiar. It is kind of cool to see the balance between nature and nurture.

Thanks for all your good wishes! It all worked out well, and we are going to do a repeat on Saturday, before they head off again on Sunday.

This is Wayne and Lorrae, my "new" brother and sis in law. LX100 instead of Nikon 1. Quick and easy and the B&W was accidental. I still have no idea how I managed to switch from colour, now need to find a way to switch back.

IMG_0836.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So cool! My sister adopted four children.
Her oldest one found her birth mom through Facebook and then found out she had two half brother just last year at the age of 25. She met them and they attended her college graduation this year!

Back