Sony 16mm f2.8 on NEX C3, better than old 3 or 5?

Discussion in 'Sony E-Mount (incl. NEX, A7, A7R, A3000) Forum' started by Ghosthunter, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo! Subscribing Member

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    I used to have the 16mm f2.8 on an old NEX 5 and it wasn't a nice lens. I have recently seen images from this lens on the 5n and 7 and the images look much much better. I'm asuming the images would be the same on my C3 as they are on the 5n as they are both basically the same camera. Reviews are very positive out there! Anyone got any C3 samples?

2. lattiboy

lattiboy SC Regular

Mar 6, 2011
    Can't speak to the differences between bodies, but....

I bought the 16mm on a lark for a cheap price on ebay. I was not expecting much.

On my 5N center sharpness is really, really good. The corners are a little "meh" until f/4-5.6, but unless you're buying a much slower Skopar or much more expensive Leica, I think that's what you would expect. Not to mention the the OOF rendering is actually nice and it focuses VERY close for a WA.

Really can't find much to fault it, especially considering it runs about $150-160 used.

3. Ghosthunter

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    As you have said the corners do look soft but as it's 16mp I'm sure a bit of cropping would sort that out!!

4. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I don't know if this matters... but I understand the 5N corrects for distortion and CA in Sony lenses while the C3 does not. I'll be reading the answers to the OP's question because I'm trying to decide whether to get into a small NEX system. I can now buy the C3 with the 16mm for $499 or the 5N body-only for $599. If I picked the second option, I could perhaps go for the new Sigma 19mm and 30mm primes for NEX that are due out shortly.

5. pictogramax

pictogramax SC Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 18, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    If that is the case, you might want to spring for 5N, because the distortion on my C3 is horrible.
    Corners are ugly also, but distortion definitely steals the show (in the negative way, of course).

6. Ghosthunter

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    How daft is that, not having distortion and CA correction in the C3.:doh:

I'm interested in the Sigma 19mm, hopefully it will be better than the Sony 16mm.

7. Country Parson

Country Parson SC Top Veteran

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Dan
    I don't understand the problem with the 16. This pic was taken with the 16 on a NEX5 last summer. OK, it was at f5, but the rose was at f3.5.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia SC Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The CA bothers me the most on the Sony 16mm and kit zooms, I personally never liked these lenses. But with the 5N it's like they're brand new lenses (subjective impact to me), I actually enjoy them now.

9. nexolino

nexolino New to SC

Aug 22, 2012
    Don't understand what's the fuss with CA... shoot RAW and get rid of it in PP... it's one of the lens flaws that are easily corrected.

10. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia SC Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    That's totally valid if you always shoot RAW anyway, but not everyone wants a 'RAW only' lens. So it's just something to know about the lens going in, not something to automatically exclude it from consideration.

11. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    I rarely shoot raw, so good lens and jpeg, IS important for me. I understand that others do it differently. And that is one of the things that makes photography so adaptable to everybody, no matter what their desire or skill level. (or software ability)

12. camram

camram New to SC

Sep 21, 2012
    Same here with me. I hardly shoot raw. I am starting to play with my camera a little bit more. So I am not clear what makes the CA different in 5N, I thought they both use the same lens

13. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia SC Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The CA is technically the same, but the 5N removes it automatically in-camera. So it's largely absent from the actual images you get.

It can be removed on your computer anyway, but it's nice to have the auto-removal if you shoot JPEG.