Sony 50

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by olli, Apr 26, 2012.

1. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    A few thoughts on and images from the Sony SEL50 on my blog.

Sony has taken a lot of - in my view often unjustified- criticism over the NEX lens line up. I think the company deserves some credit for coming up with this lens. It would be simple to produce another 50 1.8, no-one would expect anything different. By putting the OSS in it they have done what long established players have failed to do: provided a fast, short(ish) stabilised lens.

Combine f1.8 with OSS and the NEX3/5 performance at ISO3200/6400 and there aren't many static subjects you can't shoot.

Now to see what the promised standard lens will offer - 35 f1.8 seems obvious. It would be fantastic if they stuck OSS in that too.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    It's nothing short of a miracle to score a 50/1.8 here in the US! Glad you were able to get it!

3. olli

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Picked it up in Munich. 50's and NEX 7's in every camera store there so I finally got a chance to play with a 7 as well. Very nice.

4. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    NEX7's are finally widely available in the US. Now the Zeiss 24 is non-existent. And there were barely any 50/1.8 in the US to begin with. So weird how the supply chain works.

5. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    I'm curious about what kind of subject one may shoot with a 50mm prime that would make stabilization useful? I'm not trolling here, it's a true question.

6. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Troll! Just kidding.

How about low light portraits? On the NEX, 50mm would be about 75mm.

• Like Like x 1
  7. flash

flash SC Veteran

May 6, 2011
    Gordon
    Well it's a 35mm equivalent of a 75mm lens. So I would think that IS will go a long way in natural light portraits and anytime I've had too much coffee, which is pretty much all the time.

If you mean a 50mm equiv then the same as the above plus any one who shoots street in low light.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  8. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    That was a stupid question I guess. :biggrin: I have to say I rarely ever shoot portraits in really low light, and also the X100 high iso has spoiled me so that I rarely think of the potential usefulness of stabilization on fast lenses, but you guys make a good point. That makes me think I should try some low light portraits in the near future for a change.

9. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    I love low light portraiture, especially natural side light. Just wish I did it well.

10. Country Parson

Country Parson SC Top Veteran

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Dan
    Amazon has a bunch of them.

11. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Miracle is here!

12. olli

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Julien, I would use it in urban environments in low light- cityscapes, architectural shots etc. It's also useful in interiors -museums, churches when you don't have or aren't allowed flash or tripods.

• Like Like x 1