Sony Sony Breaks New Ground with A7 / A7R Announcement

Right now, not much reason for me to buy this. I'd be tempted if there was a nice wide angle prime made specifically for this system. But the widest you can go with the native lens is 24 on 24-70 and I'm not a big fan of zooms and the lens is not compact at all. I already own RX1 which has great image quality due to the great match camera-lens.

Ofc you can buy the adpator and mount some really nice lens, but the adaptor makes the camera even larger (and it is already larger than RX1), and god knows what they charge for the adaptor (399$?) and it means no autofocus.

So, right now, I'll pass. Will wait for a nice wide angle lens.

^ same here. But initial results with rangefinder wide angles suggest these cameras will require wide angle lenses that are significantly larger than those RF lenses :(
What these two said are me down to the last detail, including owning an RX1. It will take some nice wide angle primes for me too, and I'll have to see about it then. I wouldn't mind having a 21 or 24 or both. My guess is an ultra-wide zoom would be huge (as big as good APS ultra wide zooms are, this would have to be bigger). If there's a 21 and 24 and they're reasonably fast and not tooooo huge, I'll consider it then. But even then I'll have to assess how much I'd really use them. I've been scary happy just shooting with the Nikon A at 28 and the RX1 at about 32 (give or take). I like having a 21 and will probably like having an ultra wide again, but I'm not sure there's enough reason to go full frame on those - the Fuji stuff is pretty damn good for as low light as I'd want to shoot those lenses and it's not like I'm really after narrow DOF with real wide lenses. I may just continue on the way I am. More focal lengths just tend to confuse me. So, two great cameras in about my sweet spot for different uses, an m43 body with a couple of longer lenses for long stuff, and a Fuji with a couple of wide/ultra-wide for that end and I rarely pull out either, so why go full frame for something I'm not apt to use that much and that won't play to the full frame strengths that much???

-Ray

^ for me, super-wide-angle and shallow DOF in a weathersealed, fairly compact package with a tilting screen and decent resolution and high ISO performance would be my dream camera. But I think it's gonna be a while before that becomes reality...

still, every year the camera industry is getting closer to my ideal :) just look at how small fixed-lens APS-C compacts already are! Who would've thought that was possible just a few years ago...

For anyone on the fence about the A7 or the A7R it's instructive to do some research on the Nikon D800 and D800E and find some user reports on those cameras which have been in use for about 18 months now, I think. I did find more than a few references about being able to crop savagely and also that it just plain felt good to be capturing that many megapixels! Bad points were file sizes and processing times. Myself, I'd struggle to justify 36 megapixels over 24, especially when combined with the knowledge that the A7 should theoretically have the better autofocus system.

For anyone on the fence about the A7 or the A7R it's instructive to do some research on the Nikon D800 and D800E and find some user reports on those cameras which have been in use for about 18 months now, I think. I did find more than a few references about being able to crop savagely and also that it just plain felt good to be capturing that many megapixels! Bad points were file sizes and processing times. Myself, I'd struggle to justify 36 megapixels over 24, especially when combined with the knowledge that the A7 should theoretically have the better autofocus system.

I think the biggest difference that's giving lots of us pause is the D800 twins came into the world of a loving extended family of lenses, so the glass wasn't in question. Sure, there were questions about whether some of the lesser compatible lenses would be up to the task of all of that sensor resolution, but no question about color shift and whether the light would be hitting the sensor at a perpendicular angle, or close enough to it. If I was up for carrying the stuff, I'd already no doubt have a D800 or maybe just D600 or Canon 6D and just the right set of lenses. It's gonna be a while before there's anything close to a competing lens lineup for mirrorless full frame...

As for the question of 24 vs 36mp, I'd go for 24 - seems like a better set of tradeoffs for my aesthetic sensibilities. Maximum resolution and detail has never been my fetish or I'd probably just own all three Sigma Merrill models. I'd rather that extra little bit of low light and the other advantages that the larger photo-sites bring, rather than having more of them. I've got 24 on the RX1 and it's way more than enough for me...

-Ray

I wonder why they gave the A7 the electronic front curtain shutter and 1/250 flash sync speed and not the A7R?

Well, that is what Photographylife posted on their blog, but then Photoreview is saying just the opposite in their preview. :confused:

I did think that A7R's shutter sound on Jordan's preview video was loud, much more obvious than the sound of a NEX-7 with electronic front curtain (I really liked that sound/lack of vibration).

Sony.net has the specs w/ A7 electronic front curtain shutter and 1/250sec flash speed. I read somewhere, AA filter, read speed might be reason. These also include the 1/8000sec shutters like the new m43 (gx7 is very loud also) but the size difference is 4x due to the sensor.

Here are more samples from China w/ rf lenses, CV 21 1.8 might be a good lens on A7/A7R:
CV 12mm+A7
467859_1382260382.jpg

467859_1382260338.jpg

467859_1382260265.jpg

CV 15mm+A7
467859_1382260189.jpg

CV 21mm 1.8+A7
467859_1382260093.jpg

CV 35mm 1.2 II + A7
467859_1382259988.jpg

467859_1382259884.jpg

467859_1382259944.jpg

LM 50mm 1.4 + A7
467859_1382259676.jpg

LM 90mm f/2 + A7
467859_1382259424.jpg

A7R crop mode is 15.5MP so the IQ should match to current mirrorless but I think I can get away w/ less cropping on CV12mm.... Samyang is already adapting their primes incl 14mm for nex but they will be too big as slr based lenses. I will try my OM 21mm 3.5 but it might need stopping down for optimum sharpness as it is already a small lens.

I know that many may disagree, but I would have prefered that the viewfinder be an optional add on. One could have used an optical version, or nothing at all most of the time as I would. Anyhow that won't deter me from the camera.

I'm looking forward to see how nikon will manage to keep the camera small with a pentaprism and Mirror BTW.

I know that many may disagree, but I would have prefered that the viewfinder be an optional add on. One could have used an optical version, or nothing at all most of the time as I would. Anyhow that won't deter me from the camera.

More and more I'm coming to appreciate having both built-in EVFs and flexible LCDs. It's all good :D

:) The link is from SAR, that is what rumor sites do... I found the full size Sony links that you were asking, nothing came w/ search:

A7 Full Size Samples:
All Interchangeable-Lens Cameras | Interchangeable-Lens Cameras | Imaging | Sony US
α7 撮影サンプル | デジタル一眼カメラα(アルファ) | ソニー

A7R Full Size Samples:
All Interchangeable-Lens Cameras | Interchangeable-Lens Cameras | Imaging | Sony US
α7R 撮影サンプル | デジタル一眼カメラα(アルファ) | ソニー

24-70mm
Sony Corporation - DI Global - Redirect

28-70mm

35mm

55mm

Thanks for the link. The photos are amazingly detailed.

Serhan, do you practically live in all these photo forums?? You need to start a Scoop.It page and become a curator. You'd save me a lot of trouble trying to find stuff on new gear!! :)

Back