Sony HX80 Superzoom Range

Discussion in 'Sony Forum' started by Covey22, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Covey22

Covey22 SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Very useful even on a cloudy day. From 24mm to 720mm fully racked out.

SONYHX80-NOV2017-001-Edit.
    SONYHX80-NOV2017-003-Edit.

• Like Like x 3
  2. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Nicely done, Armando! We like our superzooms :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Covey22

Feb 3, 2012
    Thanks Sue, it's a neat little unit, even has an EVF and a selfie tilt LCD.

4. Biro

Biro SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The best of these pocketable superzooms can still surprise us with what they can do. The Panasonic ZS50/TZ70 shares many of the same specifications with the Sony HX80. One big difference is Panasonic's decision to go back to a 12mp sensor for better image quality in low light. How does the Sony do in low light, Armando?

5. Covey22

Feb 3, 2012
    Not as good as I'd like, but okay if I stay at the wider end where the aperture is bigger. I'm more ISO limited than anything else. 800 is about the best results I can get without resorting to NR Post.

Case in point - original color version has person on left in deep shadow as well as most of the foreground. At 1/30th, you can see camera's struggling a little - her hand is blurred just with normal conversational gestures. Look deep enough into the shadow areas, it starts to just be on the muddied side.

MYSTIC-OCT-2017-028-Edit.

6. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    The problem with Panasonic is that they also chose NOT to have a 12Mp sensor in later cameras, and finding a TZ70 these days is like looking for hens teeth. I regularly check our local source of Panny refurbs... havent been any for months. And HX80 is also like hens teeth. Its all HX90 now.

7. Biro

Biro SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Too expensive to bring in from the U.S., Sue? Both B&H and Amazon have the ZS50/TZ70 for $299 American.

8. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Possibly not but the dollar is up and down like a yoyo so its not really an option at the moment. That $299 gets too close to $400AU right now, and then theres shipping and the likelihood that it will drop further over the next few days as well. Cant risk it, when I'm financially challenged :)

I can make do with the cameras I have at the moment. In fact, much higher on my list of "I wish" is a waterproof/resistant compact. Probably the Oly TG-5. Sometime.