Sony Nex 20mm F2.8 coming

Discussion in 'Sony E-Mount (incl. NEX, A7, A7R, A3000) Forum' started by Wolf, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Wolf

Wolf SC Veteran

Mar 4, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. nianys

nianys SC Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    I really have no interest either in a 2.8 lens. However, it looks a good deal thinner than the Sigma. And you'll always have folks wanting the "brand" name. Let Sony have their money ;) Now if they would have made it F2....

3. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    I don't understand the NEX lens strategy. My new theory is -- this is a test lens that they were considering, but now that they are working hard on NEX full frame, they just kind of let this one escape, to feed the faithful something new. At least, that's what I'm convincing myself of (that SOMEONE is doing a full frame mirrorless). :)

4. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    It's pretty expensive and not very fast - but still, it's good to see Sony finally offering another pancake prime option. Sony should really take note of Samsung's lens lineup, which is excellent.

5. nianys

nianys SC Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    Yeah, the lens offering seems a bit erratic and all over the place, with no consideration for users' real needs and demands. Samsung line-up looks so good I was actually looking into that no later than yesterday... Then the bodies don't make me salivate that much.

6. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    ^ so what is it you're missing from the Samsung bodies?

7. Wolf

Wolf SC Veteran

Mar 4, 2012
    I agree, and again they'll bring a 18-200 lens...

but why no 17mm 1.8, or 85mm 1.8 or a 17-55 (or 16-50) 2.8
    I don't understand their lens line up either

Fuji at least brings fast, great primes (35mm,14mm, upcoming 56mm and 23mm) and a great kit lens (18-55)

8. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    What an odd focal length ... 30mm EFL? And f2.8 is ... yawn. I guess Sony didn't want to make anything that would compete with the Zeiss 24/1.8.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wolf

Wolf SC Veteran

Mar 4, 2012
    they should come with a good kit lens ...

10. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    That power zoom with the NEX6 was a "no no"?

11. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    I remember reading a ton of threads from NEXies asking for more pancakes. I guess Sony product marketing has been reading the interwebs!

Not for me, but I am pretty happy with the new 35/1.8 OSS permanently glued to my NEX-7.

12. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    I think the 20mm 2.8 is a compromise of many things:

1) Sony's starting to sort of understand that people want pancake primes.
    2) they are still unable to produce very competitive lens designs on their own (Canon and Fuji have good 22mm f2 and 23mm f2 with a similar size)
    3) their own Zeiss 24mm 1.8, which would lose most of its appeal if a much smaller and cheaper 24mm f2 was put on the market.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wolf

Wolf SC Veteran

Mar 4, 2012
    The powerzoom wasn't bad, but with a good "kit" zoom i mean something like the the fuji 18-55 or even better a constant 2.8 lens ...

it's good they are coming with pancakes indeed, but 2.8....

14. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia SC Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    If this has the IQ of say the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5, I think it could be a winner. Similar MSRP, just half a stop slower which is not a big deal IMO. I think a shade smaller than the 16mm too.

I never was comfortable with the 16mm lens FOV, and with less extreme focal length I am guessing IQ will be better/more consistent on this new lens. This would be a much better kit lens for me than the 16mm.

I think this prime complements the 35mm f/1.8 nicely.

15. GeirJ

GeirJ New to SC

Apr 8, 2012
    The quality of the Sigma lenses is clearly not good. They are cheap in every sense of the word. I have the 19mm and I had the 30mm, but it broke down and refused to autofocus the second time I used it.

16. Bluebear

Bluebear SC Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    St Albans, Herts, UK
    I'll wait for the reviews, but my head says don't rush into buying the Sigma!

17. GeirJ

GeirJ New to SC

Apr 8, 2012
    I have now sold the 19mm as well.

18. norman shearer

norman shearer SC Veteran

I think the lens speed is good enough for the body it is going on. If it performs as well as the m43 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 it will be a hit. If it was any faster it would be priced out of reach for the masses and the masses is presumably their target audience. That said I doubt I'll get it. I tried hipshooting with the Sigma 30mm and discovered how pants the 5N AF is. Probably adequate when shooting using the screen or a VF but for me I'm better of with legacy glass and zone focusing.

19. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia SC Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Yeah I agree too, the only issue now is the street price of comparable M 4/3 lenses is less.

The Sigma 30mm is not a particularly good auto focuser, and hunts a lot in my experience compared to other lenses. I think the Sony 16mm or even the kit zoom would be much better for hipshooting. Presumably this new lens will be better too.