Sony Sony RX1-R

Honestly, unless you pixel peep, you really cannot see the difference in a web shot. I had to put various kinds of glasses on and look really closely and could only see a difference in the landscape cropped shots.. in the others, it was marginal at best (IMO) Amin's post explained it well.

I had more or less decided to start saving for an RX1... and will likely still do it. The R version is nice... but pricewise, I'll be looking for the less expensive.

The new one will be more prone to moire and artefacts, I ecpect. For real smooth sharpness, you know my answer:D Sigma DP Merrill.
some sony artisan mentioned correcting this specific issue with this specific camera in Capture One.

i think it all comes down to personal preference.

(Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk)

these grips are now in production, with (Combo) or without (basic) the L-plate:
_7040003web.jpg

and more info here:

Sony RX1 grip, JLM - The GetDPI Photography Forums

Another good example of why, unless for some reason you intend to use completely unedited raw files, making a comparison of the IQ of cameras with anything other than the final, edited images isn't really a fair comparison.

With any pair of cameras that differ in AA filter alone, a bit of extra sharpening for the AA filter variety usually makes the differences much less than they seem when given equal sharpening. I've seen this for the D800/E and K5 II/s.

Here's an example of 100% crops from the IR JPEG samples:

9149481165_118f5c0a9f_o.png

Pretty noticeable difference, right? Now the same exact crops after slight sharpening of the RX1 crop:

9149481037_1f264df51b_o.png

Not so different anymore. Since the beginning of digital photography, we've been sharpening to counteract the effects of the AA filter, but most review sites don't get into this for some reason when evaluating the new AA filter-less varieties of cameras.

Another good example of why, unless for some reason you intend to use completely unedited raw files, making a comparison of the IQ of cameras with anything other than the final, edited images isn't really a fair comparison.

Even completely unedited RAW files isn't a "fair" comparison IMO. For one thing, you never know how the RAW files are being cooked in camera. Second, you never know how a RAW converter like Lightroom is cooking files differently (according to camera model) by default. Lastly, stronger AA filters need more sharpening to get to the desired final processed image result. I think the fairest approach is to process both files to taste, making them as good as they can be, and posting the results along with RAW files for others to process and compare for themselves.

Even completely unedited RAW files isn't a "fair" comparison IMO.

Yep, that's exactly what I meant. I'm going to process every raw file anyway so if one camera produces raw files that are more "cooked" than the other it just means it has a different starting point and doesn't imply that it will produce the better final product.

Back