1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Sony RX10 U.S. MSRP Drops to $998

Discussion in 'Superzoom Salon' started by Biro, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
  2. RT Panther

RT Panther SC All-Pro

Dec 25, 2012
    If only I had waited one and a half months! :eek::rolleyes::tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    • Like Like x 1
  4. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Good news for some - I got a reasonable discount when I bought mine - new price makes it a no brainer.

5. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    So... unofficial poll: RX10 or FZ1000... and why?

6. demiro

demiro Serious Compacts For Life

Dec 15, 2011
    I can't get away from the FZ1000 on this one. The extra reach is a nice plus, and maybe some day 4K video will mean something to me. I have visions of pulling decent stills from it, which may or may not be possible (like GH4).

I'm more likely to remain on the sidelines for a bit longer though. Maybe a nice used FZ200 to hold me over until there is even more competition and choice in the 1 inch segment.

I am curious what we'll see on the used market with the RX10 though. If that price level drops significantly it may be worth a look.

7. RT Panther

RT Panther SC All-Pro

Dec 25, 2012
  8. RT Panther

RT Panther SC All-Pro

Dec 25, 2012
    My obvious biased answer = RX10
    -Weatherproofing
    -I'll still take 2.8 on good glass
    -Video performance is a low priority (I also shoot with a Nikon Df which has no video)

9. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    for me, neither has enough reach. If I were to go for either, the RX10 would likely get my $$. weatherproof is nice. And I love the JPEGs from Sony way more than the FZ. And those killer Sony art filters (don't laugh).

10. RT Panther

RT Panther SC All-Pro

Dec 25, 2012
    Well, the overlooked Fuji X-S1 has 24-624 (35mm equivalent) lens & the XF1 sensor :smile:

11. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I think Luke has the Fuji HS50. I'd be interested in learning if he's still getting along with it.

12. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    The HS50EXR is still seeing use. FOR ME, a superzoom is more about reach than ultimate IQ. I use my X100 for 80-90% of my photography. When I need reach, I use the HS50. I grabbed it the other day when there was a deer in my neighbor's yard. I would not have been able to fill the frame with a 300 or 400mm eqiv lens. 1000mm really comes in handy.

• Like Like x 1
  13. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I've given this camera lot of thought. I have the XF1 and the along lens on that is very appealing. The big problem (literally) is that I get hung up on that 2 lb weight.