1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sony/Zeiss 24mm on NEX5N vs X100

Discussion in 'Sony E-Mount (incl. NEX, A7, A7R, A3000) Forum' started by Country Parson, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Country Parson

Country Parson SC Top Veteran

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Dan
    This past week I carried these two cameras and, when possible, took the same photo from the same spot with both set as nearly as possible on the same settings. Both were set to Auto ISO. Here are my conclusions: 1.) While IQ is close, I think the NEX meters more consistently. At least I prefer the way it meters. 2.) I sometimes had trouble getting the X100 to focus well, but never had that problem with the NEX. 3.) The screen on the NEX usually gave a clearer view than the X100. Here are a few samples. In each case the NEX is first followed by the X100 image. All were shot in RAW. The only pp done to these besides converting to jpg and reducing, was to use the recovery slider for those shot into the sun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NEX564.
    [​IMG]
    This was the most disappointing with the X100. Perhaps the NEX reads my mind better. Yes, I know what to do on the X100 to correct this, but I wanted the cameras to do their thing without any exposure compensation, etc.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  2. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Wow, that was weird on the last comparison!

The NEX's metering did seem to be more consistent.

3. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Good comparrison. The NEX/Zeiss is holding it's corner very well indeed.

4. Pelao

Pelao SC All-Pro

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Stephen
    Interesting. I feel the X100 pulled more from the shadows on the second shot, though I am sure all the info is there in the Nex and can be accessed in post.

5. Country Parson

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Dan
    Yes, in general the X100 seemed to favor shadows, or over expose, except in the first pair where the NEX gave better exposure to the grass which was in the shade.

6. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I'm starting to find lots of things I don't like about the X100, and overexposure if you let it go auto is just one.

7. thekeddi

thekeddi SC Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    South Australia
    What's the price difference of the two setups? I would be interested to know?

8. Country Parson

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Dan
    The X100 is about $1200 and the NEX5N with Zeiss 24mm is about $1700. ( In US currency) There are a lot of X100s available used.