Sort of back

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by olli, Jul 14, 2012.

1. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    We left Tbilisi behind a couple of days ago and after a short break in London we arrived in our latest temporary home in Washington DC yesterday. Today we were out shopping for all the essentials and along the way I happened to stop off in the Sony Store in Pentagon City. I was already very interested in the RX100 and having read the Luminous Landscape rave review I was pretty much convinced that I wanted one. I stopped off to ask when they were expecting them in stock and it so happened that their first stocks had arrived that morning, so I bought one.

I haven't taken any pictures for a while and I'm hoping a new toy to play with might help me get back into the swing of it. Once I do I'll add my thoughts to all the others.

• Like Like x 3
  2. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Congrats on your new camera!
    Do you mean you'll be staying in DC permanently but only temporarily in the home you live in now, or will you be leaving DC soon as well?

• Like Like x 1
  3. olli

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Thanks. We're in temporary accommodation here for a couple of months but we'll be living here for the next 2-3 years, which still feels quite temporary.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    ah I see. If you don't mind me asking, why are you moving around all the time? Work?

5. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I'll miss your shots of Georgia, but look forward to seeing how you see DC.

• Like Like x 2
  6. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Welcome to DC. Looking forward to see your rx100 shots. Maybe we can do a SC DC meeting also:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. olli

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Thanks. Yes we move for work - my wife's, not mine. I'm the bag carrier, or as one of my Australian friends from Tirana put it, the Spousal support Person - SSP.

A DC and district SC meetup would be great. I've been looking online to see what there is by way of photo groups in the area.

• Like Like x 2
  8. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Welcome back olli - looking forward to pics and thoughts on the Sony.

• Like Like x 1
  9. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    There are local photo clubs. I know a couple in VA area. You can check the closest one to you. Also I signed up for meetup.com groups. I didn't have time to follow them much but they are pretty active and have variety of interest areas in photography.

I think the best opportunity in DC is National Geographic. They have masters of photography series. I went there for a couple of seasons. Each season they have 3-4 seminars eg one per month and they invite one of their famous photographers to show their story/photos and tell how they do it, etc:

National Geographic Events - Washington, D.C.
    Nat Geo Live 2012 Spring DC Series Brochure

• Like Like x 2
  10. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    welcome back Ollie :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. olli

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Thanks for the info. I'll look these up.

12. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    • Like Like x 1
  13. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I'd completely missed this thread. I'm glad to know you're back here...as in SC and in the USA, as well. Perhaps our paths will cross on terra firma - I hope so!:drinks: