St Kilda skatepark. Trying out some new gear.

Livnius

Top Veteran
Name
Joe
Melbourne served up a brilliant winters day yesterday and gave me a great opportunity to mess around with some new camera gear. (EM1, GX7 and Nikon A)

Skater kids, bless their shattered little ankles and elbows they are always an interesting subject to shoot.

Nikon A
14291977840_18790a98e2_k.jpg
St Kilda skatepark-1 by Livnius, on Flickr

Oly EM1 & 75/f1.8
View attachment 94045St Kilda skatepark-2 by Livnius, on Flickr

Oly EM1 & 75/f1.8
14477319122_135bc2b34f_k.jpg
St Kilda skatepark-3 by Livnius, on Flickr

Panasonic GX7 & 12-35/f2.8
14477395344_acff5e652c_k.jpg
St Kilda skatepark-4 by Livnius, on Flickr

14455503696_f349239564_k.jpg
St Kilda skatepark-5 by Livnius, on Flickr

Oly EM1 & 75/1.8
14475226141_5592bfe3e6_k.jpg
St Kilda skatepark-6 by Livnius, on Flickr

14291980790_6a9f6a97ec_k.jpg
St Kilda skatepark-7 by Livnius, on Flickr

Oly EM1 & 75/f1.8
14498730723_629da95688_k.jpg
St Kilda skatepark-8 by Livnius, on Flickr

Verrry nice! I like the tonal qualities of the shots, but I particularly like the different treatments of the subject: skaters out of focus silhouetted against the background, the detail of the trucks grinding against the concrete, and so forth. These are not shots you are likely to see in a skateboarder magazine but are nevertheless interesting and striking to view.

In my not-so-humble opinion, this is very much in line with what documentary is all about.

A few well-written captions, and you've got yourself a photo story. Well done!

Cheers, Jock
PS -- I didn't know saints were interested in skateboarding . . .

Verrry nice! I like the tonal qualities of the shots, but I particularly like the different treatments of the subject: skaters out of focus silhouetted against the background, the detail of the trucks grinding against the concrete, and so forth. These are not shots you are likely to see in a skateboarder magazine but are nevertheless interesting and striking to view.

In my not-so-humble opinion, this is very much in line with what documentary is all about.

A few well-written captions, and you've got yourself a photo story. Well done!

Cheers, Jock
PS -- I didn't know saints were interested in skateboarding . . .

Thank you. A few fisheye shots would have definitely been a lot more 'skateboarder magazine' for sure. My post processing would probably be considered a little heavy handed by many but I get a bit of kick out of playing with LR so it's an enjoyable part of the process for me. If the image has any inherent character to it or something even remotely like a story to it then the image itself kinda leads the way. I never know what I'll end up with.

Aa any Melbournian or frequent visitor to Melbourne will be able to tell you, skateboarding is the least of the 'un-saintly' activities that goes on in St Kilda !

Back