1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

St. Nicholas Cathedral in Kyiv

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by stratokaster, Feb 1, 2011.

1. stratokaster

stratokaster SC Top Veteran

Dec 27, 2010
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Pavel
    5407782271_c8c34a3351_b.

This is probably the most interesting building in Kyiv. It's hard to tell from this picture, but it's in a very bad condition. 6 years ago corrupted city officials allowed a commercial company to build a business center right in the cathedral's buffer zone. This severely damaged cathedral's foundation and some experts have expressed fears that this wonderful structure is now beyond repair and must be demolished before it becomes really dangerous. Sometimes greed and stupidity really lead to catastrophic consequences.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    I hope your car isn't one of those parked outside!!:biggrin: Seriously it's very sad when things like that happen to such a beautiful building. Great shot, let's hope it's not just going to be a memory!

3. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    stratokaster, it does look impressive! I'd love to see more pictures both inside and outside, if you have them.

I can't stand to think of its being demolished!

4. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    That's a total stinker. The building is beautiful. Can't fathom why it can't be salvaged. Probably not cost effective? When was it built?

5. stratokaster

Dec 27, 2010
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Pavel
    BBW, unfortunately, I've never been inside. That's a shame really and I must visit it as soon as possible.

Armanius, it was built in the early 20th century for Kyiv's local catholic community.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Thanks for the info Stratokaster. The building almost looks Gothic (minus the flying buttresses). Beautiful design.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Please do get more photographs in and out. Maybe you can convince the people that it is worth saving? I just can't stand to think of it being demolished!

8. stratokaster

Dec 27, 2010
    Kiev, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Well, there is a large group of activists called 'Save Old Kyiv' who are working on saving old and historical buildings. Right now the cathedral's fate is not yet decided, people are trying to raise funds for its restoration. We all hope it's possible.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I'm glad to hear it and I'd bet you anything that your photographs (those of the interior that you are going to take, as well) will be a huge help to generating interest and enthusiasm. Often people who live near these places that are in the lines of a wrecking ball don't always realize their beauty and importance.

Please keep us posted on this, stratokaster!