1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Stand still, dammit!

Discussion in 'Photography Techniques' started by Lightmancer, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Two photos of my beloved, taken today. One is clearly posed, the other equally clearly (or blurrily) taken candid. My dilemma is this... the Becky in the blurry photo is the woman I know and love, the one posing is wearing that pained, get-on-with-it, I-don't-like-having-my-picture-taken expression reserved for whenever I point any camera in her direction. So, advice please, how do you get your subjects to RELAX!!?

Becky Godalming January 2013 1 by Lightmancer, on Flickr

Becky Godalming January 2013 2 by Lightmancer, on Flickr

Sent from another Galaxy

• Like Like x 5
  2. Hikari

Hikari SC Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    Maine, USA
    Like that first one.

How do you get your subjects to relax? Give them a bottle of whisky. That will do it.

Basically, you just keep shooting. Eventually they relax. It also depends on whether you are relaxed. If you are too focused on what you are doing or you are reflecting their aversion to being photographed, then that will come through. If you are cheerful and relaxed, they will be too. Engage your subject. Make the photograph fun.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dixeyk

dixeyk Guest

That's when I use that 10fps burst rate.

4. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    Sneaky! That's what I am. Not a lot of keepers. But patience, determination, and a bit of planning.

Bill, the first is great. The blur, actually adds to the atmosphere and sense of total enjoyment!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Pelao

Pelao SC All-Pro

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Stephen
    I prefer candid shots.

Otherwise, try medication and / or bribery. To generate a smile or smirk, shoot while scantily clad.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Boid

Boid SC All-Pro

Dec 15, 2011
    Bangalore, India
    Rajiv
    I ask them to read what's written in small type around the camera's lens. That's the start of course, it distracts them from being too conscious. Then I ask them to turn three quarters of a way towards the camera, and shift their weight onto their back leg (conversely, I make the blokes lean in). If it still doesn't work, I hand them the camera and ask them to take pictures of me first. After they're ok with doing what I would be doing, then I take their pictures.

If that doesn't work, I recite this poem to them -

"Oh freddled gruntbuggly/thy micturations are to me/As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
    Groop I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes. And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
    Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!"

It works I tell ya.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Let her take a picture of you first?

• Like Like x 1
  8. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    Now, I don't think that will work (taking yours first). She will just walk away victorious, laughing at you!

• Like Like x 2
  9. fin azvandi

fin azvandi SC Veteran

Feb 22, 2012
    Madison, WI
    I don't know either, and I'm open to suggestions! My few successes come with candid shots or to just keep shooting and telling her to ignore me rather than "pose."

• Like Like x 2
  10. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Me too. I never try to get people to pose, every time I have, they always look anxious about it. Much better to catch them off guard, IMO.

• Like Like x 3
  11. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    muaaahahahaha!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Ask her NOT to pose. talk to her while you're shooting. Tell her what a beautiful smile she has NATURALLY. The best smile people have is when they are relaxed and just about to laugh. That first one is GREAT. Her guard is down....the camera LOVES her. Let her know that you want to capture her the way she really is because that's the woman you love (and it may sound corny, but it's true.....and it will make her smile one of those REAL smiles that make all of us men crumble).

• Like Like x 2
  13. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    oh yeah......also that X-E1 is spectacular even at ISO6400. So use it when she's twirling for the camera and you'll freeze the action instead of it being blurry.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    I would also add: don't use the eye-level viewfinder. It puts an unnecessary barrier between photographer and subject.

• Like Like x 2
  15. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    Love the blurry photo more. Doesn't matter if it's not sharp, you've captured the moment in that one.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Thanks all for listening and responding to my frustrations! I have tried many of the techniques recommended (except Vogon poetry, I confess, even though I do know where my towel is...) but the one I think I need to pursue is the shoot until she is sick of me approach. Part of my problem is that Becky is herself fairly new to photography and finding her feet, her style and her confidence so I don't want to put her off or make her self-conscious when she is composing a shot of her own by having me breathing down her neck with my own camera...! I shall simply have to persevere :wink:

17. nianys

nianys SC Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    Love the first pic, extreme blurriness and all !
    How do I get them to relax ?? Simple... I outlast them ! I just stick around with the camera, and pretend to fiddle with it, making imaginary setting changes, and chatting my mouth off the whole time. Sometimes in working environment (where I have permission to shoot, of course), I'll just use the opposite technique and follow them silently until I become part of the place and they forget about me. After a while the guard comes down. An articulated screen and silent shutter sure helps !

18. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    I tried reciting that and subsequently had my poetic license revoked.\

Cheers, Jock

19. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    A bit easier to memorize than the (admittedly wonderful) poem: tell them you want one shot where they look serious or angry, and when they do, tell them to look even more serious or angry ('you can do better than that!') - right untill they can't help but laugh :smile: