1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Starry Nights

Discussion in 'Words / No Words (W/NW)' started by jhowell39, Aug 24, 2012.

1. jhowell39

jhowell39 SC Veteran

Jun 23, 2011
    norcal
    Jim
    Put the grd iii on an old Bogen 3011 last night and got this

0013539_1.

I'm asking an awful lot from a small camera to do this. The grd iii doesn't seem to have a bulb setting and the sensor, while great for B/W at ISO 1600, gets pretty noisy in a color jpeg. Managed to snag a Celestron NexStar 114 telescope from craigslist for a pittance and I'm excited to learn it a bit, tie the grd iii on top with a little Joby and keep the stars as points out to 180 seconds. If anyone here has any widefield astrophotography experience, please chime in with tips and piccies!

Thx--Jim

• Like Like x 4
  2. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Its a lovely shot, Jim, and the GRD continues to surprise me too! Word has it that any exposure longer than 10 seconds, and you'll start to get star trails. I did one at 30 seconds with my K-5 and that certainly seemed to be the case.

I haven't tried doing stars with the GRD but now you have presented this beauty, I think I might just take it out, along with a tripod, and have a go. I did do a 30 sec exposure at the harbour very early one morning, which managed to get one star in view... but the focal length is a tad limiting, I think... you're going to enjoy that Celestron!

Here's that harbour shot...
    6780895984_8252d44a2a_z.
    GRD3 Long Exp. by kyte50, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1