Starry Nights

jhowell39

Veteran
Name
Jim
Put the grd iii on an old Bogen 3011 last night and got this

0013539_1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm asking an awful lot from a small camera to do this. The grd iii doesn't seem to have a bulb setting and the sensor, while great for B/W at ISO 1600, gets pretty noisy in a color jpeg. Managed to snag a Celestron NexStar 114 telescope from craigslist for a pittance and I'm excited to learn it a bit, tie the grd iii on top with a little Joby and keep the stars as points out to 180 seconds. If anyone here has any widefield astrophotography experience, please chime in with tips and piccies!

Thx--Jim

Put the grd iii on an old Bogen 3011 last night and got this

0013539_1.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm asking an awful lot from a small camera to do this. The grd iii doesn't seem to have a bulb setting and the sensor, while great for B/W at ISO 1600, gets pretty noisy in a color jpeg. Managed to snag a Celestron NexStar 114 telescope from craigslist for a pittance and I'm excited to learn it a bit, tie the grd iii on top with a little Joby and keep the stars as points out to 180 seconds. If anyone here has any widefield astrophotography experience, please chime in with tips and piccies!

Thx--Jim

Its a lovely shot, Jim, and the GRD continues to surprise me too! Word has it that any exposure longer than 10 seconds, and you'll start to get star trails. I did one at 30 seconds with my K-5 and that certainly seemed to be the case.

I haven't tried doing stars with the GRD but now you have presented this beauty, I think I might just take it out, along with a tripod, and have a go. I did do a 30 sec exposure at the harbour very early one morning, which managed to get one star in view... but the focal length is a tad limiting, I think... you're going to enjoy that Celestron!

Here's that harbour shot...
6780895984_8252d44a2a_z.jpg

GRD3 Long Exp. by kyte50, on Flickr

Back