[C&C] Starting at the bottom

Discussion in 'Photo Critique' started by briarhopper, Jan 31, 2012.

1. briarhopper

briarhopper SC Rookie

Jan 31, 2012
    Talkeetnai, AK
    My first post, my first picture. Alaska in January, lots of snow and poor light. The camera is an Olympus E-420 and the lens is an Olympus Digita 14-42mm. I have everything set on auto starting out (I know, I know. Neophytes :redface:) I'm standing on my upstairs deck zooming down at the tire swing almost burried. Where do we start from here?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    Don't let anyone tell you that Auto is always bad, it's not. With more tricky shots you might need to adjust things and auto won't necessarily do that to your liking however for this instance it did real well, and so did you. The snows not blown out, the shadows are that attractive blue and you can see the texture of the snow.. So congrats on your first shot shared it's a winner! And you didn't have snow up to your waist getting it!
    • Like Like x 2
  3. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    Welcome son. Last time I stood there (Sept) weather was much warmer and no snow.
  4. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    That shot is terrific. My only suggestion would be to link to the larger version of the image, not the thumbnail size.

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    I like the composition - it's very good. You have a blue/grey cast to the snow which is very common in snow pictures. If you shot in RAW you may be able to adjust that although you may prefer it as is which is fine.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. defektive

defektive SC Veteran

May 4, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    This has come out well but it may not always using auto for a scene such as this as there is a large difference in dynamic range between the bright snow and dark shadows. You may have to choose which you want to keep more detail in - the bright or the dark portion of the image - and set the correct exposure for this part of the image. It may sound daunting at the moment but you can learn a hell of a lot in these forums in a short amount of time if you are motivated to. My advice would be to start shooting in aperture priority mode (assuming your camera allows it) as soon as you become comfortable with auto. This lets you manually set the aperture setting so you can determine the depth of field of the image while the camera automatically sets the correct shutter speed for your chosen aperture. Also, read your camera manual thoroughly when you get a chance so you know what it will let you do.

Enjoy shooting.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Welcome. Snow can be hard to photograph. I usually try to bracket a lot in the winter and I'm often surprised which one comes out well.
  8. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    and also remember that there is no such thing as a dumb question. There's a big group of friendly, knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum. Welcome!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    briarhopper, I'm so glad you jumped right in - hadn't seen this thread until after I'd offered my welcome.

Here's a comment from one of our members that I think will be very helpful and I'm counting on the hope that the links Bill(wt21) has supplied:

I found these within an older thread https://www.photographerslounge.org/f12/learning-how-expose-properly-basics-644/ that you might want to read through... While some of the comments are specific to the original poster's smaller sensor camera, there are other helpful posts, I think. In addition, I would suggest checking out one of the books mentioned that will help you learn more.

Please feel free to begin any new thread you'd like, briarhopper. We have a separate forum for learning about the how to's of photography whether they are "basics" - which many of us still need to learn or refresh ourselves regarding - or more involved subjects: Photography Techniques. There's also a forum about post processing called Image Processing..where you can learn about different softwares, etc....both of which are found in the larger subsection known as Image Works.

You're on your way, briarhopper!
  10. briarhopper

briarhopper SC Rookie

Jan 31, 2012
    Talkeetnai, AK
    Thanks for all of the advice and info. I was not sure if the blue tint was acceptable, though I know it is common for snow. When I tried to do some tweaking on the computer with color balance and get less blue, I wound up with a lot less definition in the picture as a whole, and I lost the bar of sun laying across and through the tire. So, except for cropping of a little yellow snow from the dog at the bottom of the picture, I decided it was best left as-is. :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Country Parson

Country Parson SC Top Veteran

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Yellow snow from the dog. How well I remember those days from living in Maine. :biggrin: