1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Starting on the Megaliths exhibit

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by rybolt, Mar 29, 2015.

1. rybolt

rybolt Itinerant picture taker

Mar 24, 2014
    Yellow Springs, Ohio USA
    Paul Rybolt
    It's taken me almost 11 months to get started but I'm beginning to print pictures for an exhibit of Irish megalithic sites. I'm a big fan of Paul Caponigro's Megaliths work and the style he used. Here are a couple of the pictures. PRP13158-Edit-2-3. PRP22695-Edit-Edit.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Best of luck.

Nice subject and treatment

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    An interesting theme - I'd like to see more.

4. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    These are fantastic, do share more.

5. rybolt

Mar 24, 2014
    Yellow Springs, Ohio USA
    Paul Rybolt
    Thanks for the comments. I'll post more as I get them done. This project is actually two parts. The first is the megaliths and the second is the shrines, holy wells and burial grounds of Ireland. What I'm finding is that I prefer the megaliths in black and white and the other parts in color. I just need to figure out how they can mesh without being too jarring in contrast.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    a monumental task and a fascinating subject - a life's work

7. rybolt

Mar 24, 2014
    Yellow Springs, Ohio USA
    Paul Rybolt
    This picture is not really part of the megaliths project though it was done while walking to one of the sites. I thought it was fun for two reasons. First: it shows that you CAN go overboard in processing and it can happen very quickly. Second, it shows that an 8mm fisheye on a Fuji APS-C camera doesn't necessarily have to have a lot of distortion.
    PRP22756-Edit-2.

• Like Like x 2
  8. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy SC Top Veteran

Jan 7, 2013
    Herefordshire, England
    Martin Connolly
    I would say that's not too far overboard, probably a short swim back to safety! Nice shot and you're right about the fisheye. My only experience of using a fisheye lens was on the Pentax Q and that was just horrible. This looks very natural by comparison.

9. rybolt

Mar 24, 2014
    Yellow Springs, Ohio USA
    Paul Rybolt
    Thanks! The Rokinon/Samyang/Bower 8mm lens for the Fuji X cameras is a full frame fisheye but it has some sort of optical correction built in that really works if you hold it level. Like all fisheyes, it can be overused but once in a while it's fun to play around with.

10. RT Panther

RT Panther SC All-Pro

Dec 25, 2012
    Love #2!