Sony Steve Huff NEX 7

You are a bad, bad, influence!
That's an amazing camera. It looks like Sony listened to it's users and got it right.
Thanks....but maybe not.... my GXR is trembling at the moment....
don

Ya know, when the scuttlebutt started about this camera, I felt that it could become the X100 killer. I only talked with BB about it but now it seems it may become a reality.
I'm very happy with the GXR but if that would change, the Nex 7 would be NEXt.
Maybe Amin will get me one cause I'm such a lovable admin....

Travis my pal.... We both do not need this camera...

I'm not a huge Sony fan, nor am I a Nex fan, but it does look pretty cool, with the features people are asking for from every manufacturer. The form factor, meh, but still, other things might outweigh that.

Snake, you sound like a guy getting ready for this...
I'm just saying'.
There's a few things Sony does great.
The sensor is wonderful and the screen, there exist no competition.
This new camera will finally put the over the top.
They will shortly be the maker others have to think about.

Maybe, maybe not. I always demo first, and that's the main reason the X10 isn't even on my radar anymore. Fuji De is being pretty evasive and insulting about a demo.

No demo, no sale.

I'm going to be very interested in how this camera performs. I have been pretty blown away by the IQ of the NEX 5n so if the 7 is better then it's going to blow most DSLR's out the water. I'm also VERY interested in how the Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 performs also. A NEX 5n or 7 with the 24mm Zeiss could be all anyone needs!!!!

I used to think Sony was a very proprietary type of company with their memory stick only cams and relatively expensive batteries. Panasonic came out with the G1 and then the GH1 and I think Sony took notice of the price they were getting for the GH1. That first mockup I saw of the NEX was laughable, I thought. Such a small camera with a big lens. Now no one is laughing except Sony.

The one thing that bugged me about this was seeing the photo samples on the other site, which contained lots of chroma noise. I'm just hoping that doesn't really go in the real world and that's not the trend we're going to see more of as they stuff pixels on larger sensors now.

Ya know, when the scuttlebutt started about this camera, I felt that it could become the X100 killer

I agree... and I agree so much that I've already sold my X100 before value drops significantly, which I feel will happen in due course in the not distant future.

Some may argue that the NEX-7 can't possibly appeal to the same photographers that the X100 appeals to but I disagree with this sentiment.

Sure there are some photographers which the X100 appeals to who wouldn't give Sony or the NEX-7 the time of day, but I'm guessing there are enough of us out there who truly appreciate the X100 but want more flexibility. Before the NEX-7 there was nowhere to turn to get that flexibility in an advanced compact camera save maybe a Leica M for a very few of us.

Now with the NEX-7, camera buyers have an alternative that does offer that promise of flexibility. I can't see how Sony won't be wildly successful with this camera and that has to hurt X100 sales and likely some other advanced compacts and DSLR sales too.

Sony's biggest problem with this camera will likely be keeping up with demand.

Sony still need to offer decent AF Lenses. The 18-55 and 24mm Zeiss are the only ones that seem to be OK. I have not seen how the 50mm performs yet. I bet putting legacy glass on the 7 will be awesome!!!

I bet putting legacy glass on the 7 will be awesome!!!
I hope so... that's my plan for now although I did pre order the bundle with the kit lens, figuring it'll be useful for video as well, and helpful if I should feel the need to sell the gear sooner than expected.

If the camera turns out to be as useful a tool as I'm imagining it will be, I'm even willing to spend a bit of money on some new glass for it, legacy or otherwise. It may be hard to resist that E mount ZA 24mm (seems to be delayed from December to January 2012 delivery now, FYI), with reportedly very fast autofocus and silent operation plus you also don't inherit vignetting problems unlike it seems you are handed with adapted yet still trim overall rangefinder lenses.

Or maybe my C/Y mount lenses with adapter won't seem so huge in use and I'll save some bucks which could be a very good thing.

Great cam, but not for me. I had a Nex 5 and loved a lot about it, but as the lens roadmap developed and I saw the size of all of the future lenses, I got disinterested in staying with it pretty quickly. The 24mm Zeiss was the lens I was most interested in but, I'm sorry, its a tank. As are all of them other than the 16, which I was always happy enough with but its not a great lens by any measure, just not nearly as bad as its reputation.

I'm gonna wait for the features of the Nex 7 to trickle down to m43 - haven't heard how the new Nex AF compares to the new Pany and Oly AF, which is amazing...), but I'm very happy with the EPL3 and a small bag of lenses, and if they ever come out with an EP3 type body with the flip screen and a small built in EVF like the Nex, I'm sure I'd jump on it.

I don't have any doubts about how good the Nex line can get, but I'm very happy with where m43 is already and its only gonna get better, and the scale of those wonderful little prime lenses is MUCH more to my comfort level.

-Ray

I was surprised that the E-P3 was anywhere close on the high ISO shots, well at least on detail retention. Obviously, expect the NEX7 to outperform m4/3, but think a bit of the high ISO hype to date has based on the noise reduction.

I am going to hold off the preorder for now, mostly based on size. I can take my E-P3 w/ 20 pretty much anywhere and it is fairly stealthy. I know there is a tradeoff on ultimate IQ, but it works well for me.

It will be interesting to see the next E lens roadmap (past 2012). Also, have to think this Sony market push is going to force a Canon response about the same time. Then we have Fuji and Pentax/Ricoh with possible new CSC launches and a couple new bodies in m4/3. If I get G.A.S. in the meantime, I think the GXR and X100 are still very compelling, especially when looking at price.

Based on the comparison tool over at Imaging Resource (and that is my only basis at this point) It looks like the 7 is just about equal with the 5N in high ISO and just as good if not better at low ISO. So that leaves me asking, "Is the extra resolution worth the extra file size and post processing overhead of 24mp?" The camera looks like a dream to control, a real photographers tool which drives me crazy because I want that body with the lower mp sensor of the 5N!

Oh well, when have we photographers ever been given a camera that is everything we want?

I'm going to stick with the 5N, EVF and Zeiss (once I get the last two!) for a while until the 7 bug overwhelms my immune system.

Who wants an X100?

Back