Sony Steve Huff NEX 7

Based on the comparison tool over at Imaging Resource (and that is my only basis at this point) It looks like the 7 is just about equal with the 5N in high ISO and just as good if not better at low ISO. So that leaves me asking, "Is the extra resolution worth the extra file size and post processing overhead of 24mp?" The camera looks like a dream to control, a real photographers tool which drives me crazy because I want that body with the lower mp sensor of the 5N!

From the image examples i have seen the 5n looks superb for IQ even with the std kit lens. I would stick with the 5n's 16Mp and save a bunch of cash!!

I think this is what I've been waiting for. Just sold my DSLR kit because of the bulk, and something like the NEX7 could be a perfect replacement for it.

It does make one wonder just what other manufacturers will be producing in the next six months. Certainly, compact interchangeable lens cameras look to be the way forward. I shall keep my money in my pockets until the new year and see how this thing behaves in the real world.

That said, i wonder what the cognoscenti will say about the styling of the NEX7.

In the latest copy of the french magazine 'Chasseur d'Image' a rough test between the NEX-5N and m4/3 Oly E-P3 is published. The overall judgement was that due to the better glass the E-P3 wins this small competition. Even the high-ISO capability which goes to the Sony couldn't compensate the lack of lenses which will perform so good as the sensor rewuests. The NEX-7 with i's smaller photosites will stress any lens much harder........

Let's wait and SEE.......

I have found that the NEX with older MF lenses beats M4/3 with the same glass hands down. The NEX5n is going to push the MF lenses even further.

Andy, they compared each other with generic lenses and without 3. party high class MF glass.

IMHO there could be the following situation at the moment in adapting 3rd party glass:

SLR lenses with bigger register distance: Sony NEX 5N and 7

delicate M lenses and VC, Contax and others: the Ricoh M mount with system-conforme design. The real test is the 15mm VC on the NEXs. This lens is a proof for sensors in different designs. We as cross-over users have the choice now for different UIs and form-factors. Great!

Cheers
Bernd

Back