Micro 4/3 Steve Huff of the E-PL2 comparing to the PENs and a few other surprising cameras

BBW

Legend
Name
BB
The Olympus E-PL2 Digital Camera Review. 12 Improvements over the E-PL1! | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

o Olympus has just this week released the E-PL2 just a short 9 months after they released the E-PL1. Funny, 9 months. So my question is did the E-PL1 mate with the E-P2 and give birth to the E-PL2...

Andy and Pete, I'd be interested to hear your reactions since you have the E-PL2 and at least one of you has had at least one of the other cameras that Steve Huff brings up in this review.

I enjoyed reading it quite a bit.

I think he and I had the same basic reaction - great camera, pretty much makes the ep2 redundant and unnecessary. Which has just GOTTA mean the EP3 is going to have some real tricks up its sleeve. He's hoping for a swivel LCD and a built in evf. I don't care about the built in evf (particularly if the lcd is as good as the one on the Sony Nex - out shooting in the bright mid-day sun with that today and ZERO issues), but I'm hoping for near GH2 autofocus speed. If they can combine those two features with Olympus' already fine IQ, that's all I want in a camera. With the Nex in the house, I'm willing to wait for 'em to get the m43 pen-style camera just exactly right. Which may not happen with the EP3 or GF3, but can't be many generations down the road...

-Ray

Yes, I did read it and enjoy his site. He has a unique and genuine perspective on photography that I enjoy.
For me all this has to stop somewhere. Each week something new comes out or is in the making. I need
to just be satisfied with what I got and use it, instead of wondering what the future holds and add that to my
wish list. But the natural man in me leads me astray (if I may say), and keeps me from becoming too relaxed.

I'm sure I'll have much more to say as I spend time with the epl2. But remember I'll do it with pics rather than
word.... I'm no reviewer of cameras, just a person who enjoys a good photograph.
Cheers all,
Pete

If you kept waiting for the next version then you will never buy one!:D

I really like Steve Huff and have seen many of his vids. I think he is about as honest as they come. He is pretty spot on with his review and i am glad he likes it. I have just sold my DSLR so my main camera is now the E-PL2 and i am really glad as it's a fine camera that performs extremely well.

Well I didn't wait when the e-p1 came out. With all the improvements of the e-pl2, the AF will have to be significantly better for me to part with the e-p1.

This is how I feel, too. I go the EP1, and it's really quite good. I didn't like the looks of the EPL1 and the EP2 had a bit more, but not enough of what I need (better LCD is one of my big requirements). The EPL2 is almost there, but I'd just rather wait for the EP3. I would think an EP3 would keep me for another 18-24 months.

The E-P1 is still a great camera especially now that the firmware has sorted out the AF speed issue. The only thing that let's it sown a little is the rear screen resolution and no EVF for those who want it. It still remains for me at least, one of the most beautiful cameras available.

Right, you just have to keep in mind what features or improvements will make you upgrade and wait for 'em, not just jumping willy nilly at every new body (or lens). When I first went looking for a 'good' camera again (after decades of nothing more than a point and shoot), I bought the epl1 because of the price and not really knowing what I liked and didn't like. Turns out I loved 90% of the camera but HATED the push-button interface. I bought an ep2 a few months later and LOVED it and sold the ep1 not long after. I don't see any reason to "upgrade" the ep2 at this point, even though the epl2 may have a few slight improvements. What its gonna take to get me to upgrade are features that may be part of an ep3 or may be part of an ep4 or ep5 or a gf3 or 4 or 5. They'll happen eventually and I'll upgrade, but until then, I like the ep2 just fine.

If you DON'T like what you have (in ways that other cameras would solve), that's reason to look around at new stuff. If you DO like what you've got, stick with it until there's a really compelling reason to upgrade and don't be tempted to jump at every little 'improvement'. Now I'm in the position of sort of watching a race between Nex and m43. I suspect I'll keep both, but if m43 nails the body features I want before Nex gets some really good glass out there and probably upgrades the body, I'll probably stick with m43 almost exclusively. If they don't and Nex gets a few lenses out there, I'll probably maintain a combined system. I don't ever see using Nex for long lenses - they'd just have to be too damn big. And even though I do see an improvement in IQ with Nex, its not important to me and I'd be happy to go back to m43 if they ever nail the rear screen in a pen-style body with gh2 speed auto-focus. Man, that Nex rear screen is a frickin' revelation! I was out yesterday in the brightest sun with tons of glare from snow and reflections and I could see it PERFECTLY, in addition to positioning exactly how I like. It was fine in "auto" screen illumination mode, and then I tried the "sunny day" setting and my LORD, it was as clear and visible as any screen I've ever seen anywhere, in any lighting conditions. Just incredible. Absolutely no need for an EVF with this screen. Give me one of those on a good m43 body and the ballgame is over...

-Ray

Back