1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Still a compact user ... and using another DSLR (D3100)

Discussion in 'Nikon DSLR Forum' started by JJJPhoto, Jun 14, 2012.

1. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto SC Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    I sold all my Nikon and Canon gear a few years ago after deciding the Olympus 4/3 and m4/3 gear was all I needed for personal stuff and work. However, I held onto some of my Nikon flashes and I've picked up a Sigma DP2s and Fujifilm X10 since getting rid of the Nikon and Canon DSLRs and moving to Olympus.

Anyway, I just picked up the D3100 so I could use some of the new Nikon primes that look pretty nice (the new 50mm 1.8G, 85mm 1.8G and 28mm 1.8G all look fantastic). I didn't want a big camera and I liked the deal I found for the D3100 so I decided to go with that DSLR instead of a larger body or the D3200. The D3100 with the new 50mm 1.8G shouldn't be "that much" bigger than my E-P3 with the Pana-Leica 25mm 1.4 with hood (and smaller than the E-P3 with the 12-60mm and 4/3-m4/3 adapter that I often use).

2. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    Congrats!

3. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    It's a nice, small DSLR with good image quality. I'm sure it'll serve you well.

4. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    I have a D3100 and it's a super little beastie. I have the kit lens which I don't use and instead I just use a 35mm f1.8G. I would love to get the 50mm F1.8G as images from this lens look fantastic! I will be getting either the Panasonic G5, LX6 or Panasonic Pro camera when they are released as I get Panasonic goodies for free....kind of!

5. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto SC Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    I used to have the D90 and the 35mm 1.8G was my main lens on that camera before I sold all my Nikon gear. I might get the 35mm 1.8G instead of the 28mm 1.8G because of the smaller size and lower price, but I really like the sample images I've seen from the 28mm and I remember always wanting the 35mm to be "just a little wider" on the D90. In any case, I will definitely pick up the new 50mm and I'll have to decide whether I go for the 28mm or the 35mm. Eventually I'll add the 85mm 1.8G as well.

The only other lens I "might" get beside the 50mm, 85mm and 28mm/35mm is the Nikon 10.5mm 2.8G so I have a nice wide angle prime. Technically the 10.5 is a fisheye but it's a full frame fisheye and the distortion isn't too terrible. I don't really want to rebuild a huge Nikon kit ... I just wanted a small Nikon DSLR to use with a few nice primes.

The 18-55mm VR kit lens isn't terrible, but I prefer fast primes ... which is probably why I've enjoyed using the Olympus Pen cameras more than the 4/3 DSLRs and why the Oly 50mm is my most used 4/3 lens despite the fact that I own several very nice 4/3 zoom lenses.

6. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto SC Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    I got the 50mm 1.8G today. It's a nice prime and it balances perfectly on the D3100. I was really impressed by the bokeh from this lens considering the price.

DSC0243-M.
    DSC0250-M.
    DSC0256-M.

• Like Like x 5
  7. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia SC Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Can you guys post some shots with the 35mm f/1.8? Would love to see that one (especially people shots!)

I wish there was a Canon equivalent (in the same price range.)

Cheers

8. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto SC Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    I don't have the 35mm 1.8G now but, as I mentioned earlier, I used to have it. Here are a few images I took with the 35mm 1.8G.

I took this self portrait wide open in my office using available light if I recall correctly (I think there was light from my computer screen and light from an overhead tungsten light fixture ... which is why there are mixed color temperatures). I was holding the camera slightly above me and to my left so the camera-to-subject distance is pretty close (I have arms of a normal length for an adult male who is 6'1"). In all honesty, I can't blame distortion for how I look in this shot ... I really am this ugly. ;)

492934330_xN6zo-L.

Here is a shot of my daughter taken at f/1.8 with a background of our yard covered in leaf debris after a storm:
    492938552_KHrMC-L.

This one was taken at f/2.8:
    497629801_qZGUo-L.

This shot (obviously not a "people shot") was taken at f/3.2 and I cropped it a little.
    500882804_enbrW-L.

• Like Like x 3
  9. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia SC Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Thanks so much for those photos! That was exactly what I was looking for. I've read very good things about the lens, but have only seen test shots and charts. Looks very nice to me.

10. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy