Still awaiting Fuji's digital medium format point and shoot

Discussion in 'Other >= 1" Sensor Cameras' started by Luke, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Fuji had a slew of old Medium Format fixed lens cameras back in the film days (and they still have at least one today). Will they ever make a digital equivalent to something like the GW690? I think they could sell a fair number. Just like a bigger X100....with a bigger pricetag.

2. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    well, we've seen that it's possible to make an APSC-sensored camera with a reasonably fast lens as small as the Nikon A and Ricoh GR... so who knows, maybe they could make a medium format camera about the size of a Fuji XP1 + 35/1.4?

3. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    An 80mm fixed lens f/2.8 medium format, count me in. As long as it doesn't take way too long to focus, that is. Or I would hope it had manual focusing or something. I wonder if they would be able to improve on the ISO that other mega-money medium formats have problems with.

4. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    I am hoping beyond hope that they can make a f/1.4 medium format lens but it would make the lens way too big I think. A 35mm equivalent in medium format would be a 50mm lens, if I'm right?

5. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    The 35/1.4 was just a size reference, not really meant to indicate what focal length or aperture speed I'd like to see. Having said that, a wide angle with shallow DOF at normal focus distances would be nice, and I'd think a 35/1.4 should go a long way towards achieving that :smile: but as you say, if it had to cover a medium format image circle, the lens would be huge. I'd settle for 35/2 then :wink:

The focal length equivalent depends on what size the medium format sensor is; according to wikipedia, medium format is larger than 35mm film but smaller than 4x5inch film.

6. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I'd be pretty amazed if they could get it to market under $10,000, even for a 645

Plus Mamiya/PhaseOne/Leaf/Hasselblad have pretty much got this tiny corner of the market covered at the moment.

Give it a few years though and a few more iterations of sensor technology and maybe the cost will drop; or maybe APS-size sensors will be so good by then no-one will need a MF sensor ?

7. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    OK....can someone explain it to me really slowly. How much does the APS-C size sensor cost....just the sensor. Surely making one 4 times bigger shouldn't cost anywhere near 4 times as much......and even if it does, isn't the rest of the camera have roughly the same cost as well?

Shouldn't a fixed focal length camera be cheaper to make than the Pentax? And those are down to $7,000. I guess I'll need to keep dreaming. Or just break down and buy a film one for $500 and put the money saved towards film and development costs :frown:

8. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    The usual reason given for the higher price of larger sensors is that each wafer of sensor material yields fewer sensors & proportionately greater wastage & therefore cost

A Pentax 645D is $7K for the body alone of course

9. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Well, the Ricoh GR (APS-C) is $800. The RX1 (FF) is $2700. Twice as much for the Medium Format version?

10. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    I would be ecstatic if it was f/2!

11. TraamisVOS

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    hmm... good point.

12. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer