Still awaiting Fuji's digital medium format point and shoot

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
Fuji had a slew of old Medium Format fixed lens cameras back in the film days (and they still have at least one today). Will they ever make a digital equivalent to something like the GW690? I think they could sell a fair number. Just like a bigger X100....with a bigger pricetag.

well, we've seen that it's possible to make an APSC-sensored camera with a reasonably fast lens as small as the Nikon A and Ricoh GR... so who knows, maybe they could make a medium format camera about the size of a Fuji XP1 + 35/1.4?

An 80mm fixed lens f/2.8 medium format, count me in. As long as it doesn't take way too long to focus, that is. Or I would hope it had manual focusing or something. I wonder if they would be able to improve on the ISO that other mega-money medium formats have problems with.

The 35/1.4 was just a size reference, not really meant to indicate what focal length or aperture speed I'd like to see. Having said that, a wide angle with shallow DOF at normal focus distances would be nice, and I'd think a 35/1.4 should go a long way towards achieving that :) but as you say, if it had to cover a medium format image circle, the lens would be huge. I'd settle for 35/2 then ;)

The focal length equivalent depends on what size the medium format sensor is; according to wikipedia, medium format is larger than 35mm film but smaller than 4x5inch film.

I'd be pretty amazed if they could get it to market under $10,000, even for a 645

Plus Mamiya/PhaseOne/Leaf/Hasselblad have pretty much got this tiny corner of the market covered at the moment.

Give it a few years though and a few more iterations of sensor technology and maybe the cost will drop; or maybe APS-size sensors will be so good by then no-one will need a MF sensor ?

OK....can someone explain it to me really slowly. How much does the APS-C size sensor cost....just the sensor. Surely making one 4 times bigger shouldn't cost anywhere near 4 times as much......and even if it does, isn't the rest of the camera have roughly the same cost as well?

Shouldn't a fixed focal length camera be cheaper to make than the Pentax? And those are down to $7,000. I guess I'll need to keep dreaming. Or just break down and buy a film one for $500 and put the money saved towards film and development costs :(

The usual reason given for the higher price of larger sensors is that each wafer of sensor material yields fewer sensors & proportionately greater wastage & therefore cost

A Pentax 645D is $7K for the body alone of course

Back