street candid with a 70-300L

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by Petach, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Petach

Petach SC All-Pro

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Well done

• Like Like x 1
  3. rayvonn

rayvonn SC Veteran

Jan 19, 2015
    Really good.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    I think those are marvelous.

It just goes to show that you don't have to shove a wide angle Leica up somebody's nose to get compelling candid portraiture.

While I don't do street photography, I am fascinated by it. I've seen several documentaries in which the point of the exercise seems to be "how close can I get without provoking hostile interactions" rather than taking interesting photographs. There was even one fellow who was blazing away with a large format roll-film rangefinder with a huge flash mounted. The results were not pictures of people being themselves (as your photos show) but images of people being startled.

Also, I really like the way your shots are processed: crisp, clear, but not overcooked.

Well done!

Cheers, Jock

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. bluzcity

bluzcity SC Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    Interesting content and great processing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Petach

Petach SC All-Pro

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    Thanks Jock. The aggressive guy you refer to is Bruce Gilden. I once shot him in action in London. Not keen on his style at all, but he did some great work with the Yakuza in Japan and the Geordie working class. He is a world class photographer of Magnum fame.

7. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

Number one is number one - awesome in all aspects.

8. Petach

Petach SC All-Pro

Oct 22, 2011
    UK, Essex
    Peter Tachauer
    thanks Dale. Kinda fond of it myself.......now that I have re-discovered it after all this time.