1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Street - Istanbul

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by Petach, May 1, 2013.

1. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Very nice Pete! Good capture of the "business" of the streets.

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Great stuff Pete. I particularly like these:

I was there for about a week in '81. Would love to go back someday, but I have no idea when or if that'll ever happen... Here's the one shot I have from that trip that might be worth adding to the thread - the rest were your garden variety tourist shots of mosques and stuff. I spent 3-4 hours in a rug shop in the main market negotiating over a small oriental rug that I folded up and carried around in my backpack for the rest of that trip (several more months at that point. And its in our bedroom still... I'm sure the guy made tons of money but for $150, its still one of my favorite purchases...

5232639487_efd0e84dff_b.
    Istanbul, 1981 by ramboorider1, on Flickr

-Ray

3. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Istanbul a decade earlier 1972 (Hichhiked there, then teamed up with two Americans & drove through central Turkey ie Cappodocia & onto Mersin on the South coast.
    My everlasting impression .. it was like driving through the Wild West.)

Zenith E with Meyer Lydith 30mm : Slide

4. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Excellent captures... Ricoh is new Leica:)

Here is even older photos of Istanbul from "Turkish photographer Ara Guler, nicknamed “The Eye of Istanbul”, also Master of Leica-1962 (repost from Leica forum):
    Ara Guler | Offical Web Site-Istanbul Photos

or just a google image search gives some of his photos:
    ara guler - Google Search

From one his interviews:
    And one of his books:
    Ara Guler's Istanbul

5. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Good series of images!!!!

6. Will

Will SC All-Pro

Aug 30, 2010
    England
    Lots of great images. Thanks for sharing them.

7. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Had similar carpet experiences in Istanbul but the thought of lugging around a carpet in my rucksack did not appeal. We visited Kayseri on our way to Goreme & got collared by a local merchant who desperately tried to sell me one of his fine rugs & wanted to trade my size 11 boots for one. He got pretty inflamed when he discovered the prices charged in Istanbul. I very much regret I needed the boots & now don’t have them to hang on a wall.

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Never had it on a wall - always on the floor of a living room, bedroom, office - many locations over the years. Its only about 4.5 x 3 feet. This thing's been witness to my whole adult life. I should really get it cleaned - its got 32 years worth of accumulated dirt and dust in it, but it still looks great and is going strong. I'm sure the salesman made out quite well, but so did I, so everybody wins. He sent a kid out for Turkish coffees about half a dozen times during the negotiation. I forget where it started - I think well north of $300. I left a couple of times to check out other sellers in the market, but this was the rug. Its cool to have a few possessions with these kinds of memories tied up in them...

[​IMG]
    Istanbul rug by ramboorider1, on Flickr

-Ray