Street with a Samyang 8mm fisheye

Petach

Hall of Famer
Name
Peter Tachauer
I like 'em Pete. But I figure a fisheye is a weird lens to begin with, particularly with people in the shot. So I figure if you're gonna go weird, embrace it fully. I have the m43 version of the same lens, so a bit less wide, a bit more DOF. I've done some architectural and scenic shots with it that I like, but VERY few street shots that I felt worked at all. Here are three of them that I sort of like, all from a bizarre annual parade in Philadelphia, where I figured the fisheye just warped an already twisted event a little further out of whack. Here are two of those:

View attachment 68829
Fisheye by ramboorider1, on Flickr

6620290277_5fd5afbb08_b.jpg

P1012694 by ramboorider1, on Flickr

And this was the same day, but away from the parade, and has a totally different feel. This one I actually like as an image rather than just a bizarre shot from a bizarre day...

6620288723_d7cce0640e_b.jpg

P1012679 by ramboorider1, on Flickr

I have a small set from this lens here. For the most part, I find a little bit goes a long way with this lens and while I've had it for a couple of years or so, I've used it VERY little. That set is about all I have from it.

-Ray

Fish eye is one of the most enjoyable lenses for playing with, it's almost never destroying faces even on the corners unlike ultra wides, but for street better to get small program named "Fish eye Hemi" in case you'll like to defish image, sometimes better to defish sometimes not:)

4890.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

4732.jpg

4695.jpg

Fish eye is one of the most enjoyable lenses for playing with, it's almost never destroying cases even on the corners unlike ultra wides, but for street better to get small program named "Fish eye Hemi" in case you'll like to defish image, sometimes better to defish sometimes not:)

4890.jpg

4732.jpg

4695.jpg

Interesting, thanks. Will take a look

I like 'em Pete. But I figure a fisheye is a weird lens to begin with, particularly with people in the shot. So I figure if you're gonna go weird, embrace it fully. I have the m43 version of the same lens, so a bit less wide, a bit more DOF. I've done some architectural and scenic shots with it that I like, but VERY few street shots that I felt worked at all. Here are three of them that I sort of like, all from a bizarre annual parade in Philadelphia, where I figured the fisheye just warped an already twisted event a little further out of whack. Here are two of those:

View attachment 68858
Fisheye by ramboorider1, on Flickr

6620290277_5fd5afbb08_b.jpg

P1012694 by ramboorider1, on Flickr

And this was the same day, but away from the parade, and has a totally different feel. This one I actually like as an image rather than just a bizarre shot from a bizarre day...

6620288723_d7cce0640e_b.jpg

P1012679 by ramboorider1, on Flickr

I have a small set from this lens here. For the most part, I find a little bit goes a long way with this lens and while I've had it for a couple of years or so, I've used it VERY little. That set is about all I have from it.

-Ray

Thanks Ray. Actually, I think you have made a case for using it more. The shots you exhibit here exhude a bolt of adrenaline, an immediacy...I will persevere for a while to see just how much I can get out of it. In respect of my street stuff I think I have been a bit jaded since the GRD3 upped and went......not had the same spark with the Fuji truth be told. But, I love this crazy little ssnub nosed jewel and it gives so much freedom to be really really bold. I am going to give it a good workout in the next few days.
Cheers

Thanks Pete. I look forward to seeing how you do. My experience was that for each keeper, there were probably 10 that just did NOT work that probably would have with a 24-35mm normal lens. So, yeah the ones that work are pretty cool, but my "miss rate" was huge.

-Ray

Thanks Pete. I look forward to seeing how you do. My experience was that for each keeper, there were probably 10 that just did NOT work that probably would have with a 24-35mm normal lens. So, yeah the ones that work are pretty cool, but my "miss rate" was huge.

-Ray

Cheers Ray. Point taken and I expect a pretty high attrition rate. Might be worth it for me because I miss a lot through slow reflexes, fumbling etc. Might make it up by 2nd or 3rd chances in the wide field of view. I do miiss the Ricoh....like missing a very dear old pal. I have offloaded my heavy Canon 5D +all bar 1 of the heavy L lenses. Some cash is going tro be put by to buy the new GR once the price levels a bit after issue.

All the best

Pete

Fisheye = interesting idea! I think you have some dynamic images. As Ray points out you might need taller components in the frame to bend to take advantage of the fisheye look.

The fish sorta turns images towards the El Greco end on the painting spectrum. Ray, the couple kissing is wonderful ... you been delivering great stuff every week now for months ... but this is exceptional ... the best of the best. One truly exceptional image is worth more than ten keepers.

Gary

The fish sorta turns images towards the El Greco end on the painting spectrum. Ray, the couple kissing is wonderful ... you been delivering great stuff every week now for months ... but this is exceptional ... the best of the best. One truly exceptional image is worth more than ten keepers.

Gary

Thanks Gary. This one is nearly a year and a half old, but its new to you, so I'm glad you like it!

I processed that when I was still using Aperture as a front end. I think I'll have a go at it with Lightroom and see if I can clean it up just a tad...

-Ray

Back