Streets of Assisi, Italy

Petach

Hall of Famer
Name
Peter Tachauer
Is it just me? Or does anyone else feel more comfy in their skin when shooting street miles from home?

I was in Assisi for the yearly Calendimaggio Festival (more on this later) Assisi is a wonderful and atmospheric town, the people were very friendly and the streets added a certain amount to my ability to see and react.

I used the FZ1000 quite a lot, along with the X100T/Sony R100X Mk3/Ricoh GR. I am happy to learn that I will be content to take the Panny to Aus with me for 3 months this summer as my main camera....along with the GR as back up.

This thread is image intensive:

26312791194_80da41dba4_k.jpg
Assisi - Street Candid-16.jpg
by Pete Tachauer, on Flickr

26645238320_70818c77f8_k.jpg
Assisi - Street Candid-15.jpg

26850729171_875df96e15_k.jpg
Assisi - Street Candid-14.jpg

26850719681_7ba94c2e66_k.jpg
Assisi - Street Candid-13.jpg

26850712641_013b99dcf5_k.jpg
Assisi - Street Candid-12.jpg

26884747156_d36e4107ec_k.jpg
Assisi - Street Candid-11-2.jpg

26314006803_9a2d4a72b9_k.jpg
Assisi - Street Candid-5.jpg

26871001111_bdc4afc146_h.jpg
Assisi Street Candid

I changed the family eating ice cream shot, thinking this one was slightly sharper. Now I am not so sure!

26824474262_acdf93552f_k.jpg
Assisi - Street Candid-11.jpg

26824471652_df4cd433b3_k.jpg
Assisi - Street Candid-10.jpg

26884699976_052b6a7be8_k.jpg
Assisi - Street Candid.jpg

26293266403_f07ab2d7e1_b.jpg
Assisi street candid

26897453955_9387b81cea_h.jpg
Assisi street candid

26864002506_f5d5b0073c_h.jpg
Assisi street candid

26292308554_66c5627677_b.jpg
Assisi street candid

26823092631_408356be6e_k.jpg
Assisi street candid

Last edited:
Lotta good ones Pete, but the family eating ice cream cones and the guy on the bike are the best of 'em to me. Actually saw them first on my phone and the ice cream family looked even better there, because I couldn't tell it was a bit out of focus... Fine shot regardless...

-Ray

Lotta good ones Pete, but the family eating ice cream cones and the guy on the bike are the best of 'em to me. Actually saw them first on my phone and the ice cream family looked even better there, because I couldn't tell it was a bit out of focus... Fine shot regardless...

-Ray

Thanks Ray, I loved the ice cream family til I saw it on the big screen. The out of focus in a real frustration. My right hand has always been my good one.......and I am right handed. But when my left hand tremor kicks in in my off time it affects the whole body. Anticipation and trying not to tremor gives me the yips too sometimes and it completely nauses up what would have been a nice shot. However, I cannot complain too much. I don't do so bad and I am lucky I can hold a camera most times. My main issue now is changing settings. My hand left bangs the back of the camera against the fingers of my right hand , or my right hand holds the camera as my left hand goes mental and jabs like Ali. Now if only there was a voice command camera! That would be great.

Last edited:
Peter, do you use a neck strap? If so, perhaps you could hang the camera down on the strap, and your left hand would only have to make sure you don't push it away while you're changing settings with your right hand - your neck would be holding the camera for the most part, instead of one of your hands.

The ice cream shot is really nice nonetheless, by the way. I also like the family responding to the gesture - from a waiter, perhaps? Actually I think that's a really, really good street shot, as it tells a story beyond "here are some people walking by", and you captured it exactly at the right moment, and the composition (with the hand in the frame) works as well.

Love that set Pete. How would you go with a monopod? I've often thought about getting one, because once I have eye to camera I start waving about like an old drunk (crappy balance but not for any good reason)... Maybe it would help you?

Pretty much the same with monopod. Balance is not the best for me and I end up with it waving side to side, or twisting as I hit the shoot button. I even got a 4 footed monopod to steady myself.....but still not stable enough. However, there are good days and bad days, and good times in bad days, or bad times in good days. I just need to find subjects that can fit in with my good times :0)

Peter, do you use a neck strap? If so, perhaps you could hang the camera down on the strap, and your left hand would only have to make sure you don't push it away while you're changing settings with your right hand - your neck would be holding the camera for the most part, instead of one of your hands.

The ice cream shot is really nice nonetheless, by the way. I also like the family responding to the gesture - from a waiter, perhaps? Actually I think that's a really, really good street shot, as it tells a story beyond "here are some people walking by", and you captured it exactly at the right moment, and the composition (with the hand in the frame) works as well.

Thanks Bart: 2 of my cameras have no strap (Ricoh GR and Sony RX100 Mk3) The X-T1/X100T and Panny FZ1000 do, but even letting them hang does not offer an answer. The tremor still presents itself. I have even tried to hold the camera taught on the strap. This used to work, but as my tremor increased it became less effective.

Re the family with hand shot, yes it was the waiter asking them what they would like to drink/eat. I like it, and I am pleased you like it too.

Thanks

Pete

Pretty much the same with monopod. Balance is not the best for me and I end up with it waving side to side, or twisting as I hit the shoot button. I even got a 4 footed monopod to steady myself.....but still not stable enough. However, there are good days and bad days, and good times in bad days, or bad times in good days. I just need to find subjects that can fit in with my good times :0)

Damn. Well, maybe the neck strap and hold against the body idea is best, if you have a bad thing on whats otherwise a good day.

In the meantime, keep on keeping on, those shots are wonderful, and like everyone else, I reckon the icecream shot is the winner :)

Back