Canon Stumbled across this reallly cool posting about the G12 on the Canon Australia website

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
Posted April 10, 2012

"I purchased my Canon G12 for the exact purpose to take to Mt Everest Base Camp. Due to its compact size, excellent build quality and great features, this midsize compact was for me. My trek to base camp took 14 days walking and for the whole time I took over 1500 photos and the battery ran out on day 13, I did purchase a spare battery and this covered the next 7 days without a hitch. The 6 other members of the team were truly amazed. Now the best part of this review was that the G12 took photos at Everest Base camp on a day when a blizzrd hit us hard. Wind was around 100klms per hour and the temperature was down to around -30. The G12 was the only camera that kept going. It was also dropped a few times and no problems at all. Others stopped, seized up, froze frames and 2 cameras actually cracked their viewing screens due to the extreme conditions.
The G12 is the ultimate light weight camera that can keep going when at this extreme cold and altitude, over 5.500 metres, the photos kept coming. Thanks. Acan."

Cheers, Jock

Great post. A rugged little camera the G12 is. I wonder if he created some kind of weather resistance with, say, a plastic bag with a hole cut in it for the lens. Either way, impessive in terms of both battery life and toughness. I used to be able to get 1500-2000 shots with my Pentax K200D when I used Energizer lithium-ion AA batteries and didn't use the flash much.

Great post. A rugged little camera the G12 is. I wonder if he created some kind of weather resistance with, say, a plastic bag with a hole cut in it for the lens. Either way, impessive in terms of both battery life and toughness. I used to be able to get 1500-2000 shots with my Pentax K200D when I used Energizer lithium-ion AA batteries and didn't use the flash much.

I would guess that he kept the display turned off as much as he could.

Cheers, Jock

Oh jeez, I knew I should have gotten the G12 rather than this new fangled rubbish G15!

Not sure on the source here (beyond Canon), but any luck tracking this guy's photos down? All well and good but if at the end of the day it is 1500 images of blue whiteness and over-exposed boots then the real value of the camera might be called into question. :hmmm:

Oh jeez, I knew I should have gotten the G12 rather than this new fangled rubbish G15!

Not sure on the source here (beyond Canon), but any luck tracking this guy's photos down? All well and good but if at the end of the day it is 1500 images of blue whiteness and over-exposed boots then the real value of the camera might be called into question. :hmmm:

I revisited the original post and couldn't find any clue to the identity or pictures.

If you search for Everest at this link http://reviews.canon.com.au/0574/6f75c646-45c0-4aa4-8052-bb9ab0617ac8/reviews.htm you'll find the original posting.

Cheers, Jock

Jock, I was very interested to read the report you found.
My wife still has a G9 and won't part with it. Maybe I should encourage her to keep it now after reading this.

Back